Digital Presses

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, May 14, 2008, 03:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: EmptyWords on May 16, 2008, 08:28:32 AMNo Problem DCS, if you go the iGen route and need any other info, especially what not to do, I will be glad to pass it along.

Okay big boys, time to start the confessions... We are getting a Canon Half IGen (Not sure the model, find out tomorrow) that is all they told me, apparently it is half the size of the full IGen, for in-house demo in the next couple days... talk to me, what am I not looking forward to?
Member #285 - Civilian

EmptyWords

DCS, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, been a shitty past two weeks with problems. Are you talking about a Xerox unit or a Canon???

As far as the Canons we don't have any here but we have an operator who used to run a Canon small unit. The basic same rule applies with all the "digital" presses, be prepared to do alot of color tweaking. Color consistency and repeatability is a bitch on all the units we have ever had, if you start on the variable side, make sure you get a good rip that can handle lots of records and data, a crappy rip can bite you in the ass super fast and make things alot more difficult for prepress to have to come up with workarounds.

That's just a few samples, want more, just let me know.

EW
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: EmptyWords on June 13, 2008, 06:18:30 AMDCS, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, been a shitty past two weeks with problems. Are you talking about a Xerox unit or a Canon???

As far as the Canons we don't have any here but we have an operator who used to run a Canon small unit. The basic same rule applies with all the "digital" presses, be prepared to do alot of color tweaking. Color consistency and repeatability is a bitch on all the units we have ever had, if you start on the variable side, make sure you get a good rip that can handle lots of records and data, a crappy rip can bite you in the ass super fast and make things alot more difficult for prepress to have to come up with workarounds.

EW

No problem at all. Your response is very informative. Thank you as always. They are actually installing the unit as I speak. It is a Canon C7000 VP. I will most assuredly pass on this info to the new operator, if it isn't me. If you have more info, spill it man, I am in your debt.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2008, 02:07:44 PM
Quote from: EmptyWords on June 13, 2008, 06:18:30 AMDCS, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, been a shitty past two weeks with problems. Are you talking about a Xerox unit or a Canon???

EW

No problem at all. Your response is very informative. Thank you as always. They are actually installing the unit as I speak. It is a Canon C7000 VP. I will most assuredly pass on this info to the new operator, if it isn't me. If you have more info, spill it man, I am in your debt.

If it's you, the new operator, run like the wind! :dancer:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: jimking on June 13, 2008, 02:16:24 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2008, 02:07:44 PM

EW

If it's you, the new operator, run like the wind! :dancer:

I'm really doubting they want to put me on it. I have expressed my disinterest, and to be frank, it is a monkey job. It would be foolish to put their top earner on a copy machine. Then again, I work for a foolish company. I guess i'll be dicking with color on the copier! SHIT!
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Better hope the operator they choose works out. Give support like a cheerleader but do not get your hands into the machine because they will get "Mr. Reliable" to operate the turkey if they have to. My days as a machine operator ended back in the mid 80s. If it were me my day will not be dictated to by a machine and it's hundreds of moving parts.  :drunk:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: jimking on June 13, 2008, 02:32:46 PMBetter hope the operator they choose works out. Give support like a cheerleader but do not get your hands into the machine because they will get "Mr. Reliable" to operate the turkey if they have to. My days as a machine operator ended back in the mid 80s. If it were me my day will not be dictated to by a machine and it's hundreds of moving parts.  :drunk:

I'll keep your advice in mind. I just have to learn to say NO.
Member #285 - Civilian

EmptyWords

Looks like the Canon claims a better color consistency rate, I know all our systems have had this issue (color consistency), when we change the developer the color shifts, when we change the toner the color shifts. So when we would get a job we ran on the press a year earlier or even just a few months, pick up the job (same file from previous run), submit to print and what would come out, color no where near what the first one had. Then the fun begins, screw around with the color at the rip for a while and see if it gets any closer, if not, then back to prepress for color adjustment.

When you don't have much going on in prepress, it's not so bad, but when we are busy and you have to stop what you're doing on a press job to fart around with color for a run of 200, it gets to be a pain in the ass.

Canon claims they don't use developer (oil) so this may be true for the C7000 VP, but something tells me that it will have the same problem as all of the presses do, change something like ink and off to the races of color matching you go.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy