News:

Main Menu

AX 4.0 & Acrobat 8

Started by jason, June 24, 2008, 09:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason

I am running the AX 4.0 client on a 2.4 Ghz Intel iMac. Also, I am using Acrobat 8.1.2 along with Pitstop 7.1.

I just gotta say that trying to edit a PDF thru AX using Acrobat & Pitstop just plain SUCKS.

First, it takes forever the PDF to appear on the screen, then when it does trying to choose a Pitstop tool results in a 3 second delay before the tool is active. The amount of frustration I get with this setup causes me to do whatever I can to keep from editing PDF's thru AX.

Anybody else have the same problem, or is it just me???????

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Running AX 3.5... I have the same problems. I do everything local. I HATE doing anything with AX!
Member #285 - Civilian

jason

QuoteI do everything local.

That's what I do now. I'd rather run out in the street and let a car hit me than to try and edit a PDF thru AX.

You would think with the amount of money we paid for this system that this would not be a problem.

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I hear you dude. I have to flatten everything anyway, so I don't mess with AX. At least you can send transparent PDFs. My manager is such a tightwad, he won't spend the grand for the upgrade. He's afraid it will mess HIM up, even though he does NOTHING! How you like 4 beyond that?
Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

We're running AX 4.0.  I usually need to edit my PDF's so I get in the habit of just exporting them out of pagestore to my desktop or onto our prepress server, then when I'm done editing it I can just upload to the job to be rendered.  I totally love being to keep the transparency live.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on June 25, 2008, 06:13:24 AMWe're running AX 4.0.  I usually need to edit my PDF's so I get in the habit of just exporting them out of pagestore to my desktop or onto our prepress server, then when I'm done editing it I can just upload to the job to be rendered.  I totally love being to keep the transparency live.

You know, i'll prolly love it too. I spend a great deal of time generating postscript. A change would be nice.
Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

I had a tech here yesterday to do some updates and he informed me that they are now doing version 5 installs.  Once they get a few quick fixes out from trying full installs they will start doing upgrades from 4.  We will probably get ours in the Fall since we have the techhnology contract that is good till December of 08'
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on June 25, 2008, 11:29:22 AMI had a tech here yesterday to do some updates and he informed me that they are now doing version 5 installs.  Once they get a few quick fixes out from trying full installs they will start doing upgrades from 4.  We will probably get ours in the Fall since we have the techhnology contract that is good till December of 08'

Who's your tech? What part of the country do you live?
Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

We're in Michigan, Vic Salizar comes up from Toledo to service us.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I see. I was just curious who your tech was. I don't believe I have met him, but I am not good at names. I was born in Toledo, interesting.
Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

Yeah I have been seeing Vic since 2000 when we first got into the Apogee workflow.  He's a really nice guy, really knows his stuff.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I got a guy named Gary Coltrane. Strange fellow, kinda reminiscint of a Mr. Spock/Rain Man hybrid. Pretty sharp dude, but very stoic.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lukas

Mac has the advantage of being able to have multiple Acrobats. I have Acrobat 7 as the fixup for Apogee 4 (you can set PDF viewer in Apogge and it doesn't have to be system default), but have 8, havent tried 9 with Apogee yet ;P
If I suspect problems checking in checking out, I save it in hotfolder.

Network issues are the most common... do you use DNS, IP or name? You are on the same windows work group (even mac needs to set that)? Do you connect with SMB? 

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: Lukas on July 22, 2008, 12:59:45 AMMac has the advantage of being able to have multiple Acrobats. I have Acrobat 7 as the fixup for Apogee 4 (you can set PDF viewer in Apogge and it doesn't have to be system default), but have 8, havent tried 9 with Apogee yet ;P
If I suspect problems checking in checking out, I save it in hotfolder.

Network issues are the most common... do you use DNS, IP or name? You are on the same windows work group (even mac needs to set that)? Do you connect with SMB? 
We have a main Prepress Server that is part of a Domain.  We use TCP/IP to connect our MACS to the network using DHCP.  I'm not sure if it is the best way, we do sometimes have issues with network folders not refreshing.

Lukas

Is the Apogee servers on the same domain?

If you are using DHCP then your macs don't have fixed IP? I think the Agfa system tries to find out who is the client by IP's and so I would assume fixed IP's are  to be prefered... though I have had both. I use work group and not domain.

TCP/IP is the network protocol, but you can mount a disk by SMP or AFP, we found SMB is more stable (on a windows server the AFP can lagg a bit, ie slow updates) On monday I'll be back at work and can test Apogee with Acrobat 9.