avantra mysterious lines appearing

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, August 07, 2008, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Ok, thanks all...

I've included a pic here to better explain the strangeness of this problem.

Note that the line does not go into the picture or through the type.

frailer

Are you sure they don't impinge on the half-tone and type, psp? Those sorta lines can gat "lost" in there sometimes. The Avantra's a capstan machine, correct? Looks like you've got a capstan travel "issue"; but that's a wild guess from a non-Avantra user. Plus I'm here late on a Friday night punching out a coupla jobs, and I'm up for any questions...just to stay awake!    :laugh: 

It's a serious guess though... :angel:

Damn, it really is late on Friday...I thought I was on P.1   :embarrassed:  D'Oh! On the "wrong page". Missed all those D & M Avantra answers...Heck. I'll leave it here anyway.    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

pspdfppdfxhd

Friday night? Wow, you must be far, far away from here! It's 8am friday morning. Hey, that's 8am,8/8/2008 for any chinese people out there take note!

Yes, we're absolutely sure that it's not going through any screens EVER. That's why most times we can tape or opaque the film. And these lines may only appear, for example, on 3 pieces of film out of 50.

frailer

I'm in Sinney, Orstraya, mate! And I'll take your word for it they don't go through the screen stuff.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

tapdn

We had that exact issue with our Avantras mate, but that has been over 10 years ago and neither me or my cronies can seem to remember if or how we resolved it - we suffer from CSR disease! I tend to think we never did and just lived with it, but if an answer works it's way up from the murky depths of my under used brain I will post.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

pspdfppdfxhd

well... so close and yet so far. Maybe a few beers will help you remember

DigitalCrapShoveler

PdfPdEPSCIA$%, you have an Avantra 44? Yes?
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

No DCS, it's a 30 inch. Probobly not much difference but the size.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 08, 2008, 07:31:06 AMNo DCS, it's a 30 inch. Probobly not much difference but the size.

Are all the lines the same shape and intensity? Are they fuzzy or crisp? Are they all running the same direction, as in, if you rotate 90 degrees do the lines turn? Have you tried different film, and/or changed roll and recalibrated? Are the lines only showing in opaque areas?

I am asking because my AGFA tech usually comes in on Fridays... he has been around for awhile and is a pretty smart guy. He will know what to do. I will ask him as soon as he gets here. If he doesn't show up today, I will call him. Cool?

My manager seems to remember something about this... he said replace the cable. Yes, THE cable. I still want to confirm this with my AGFA tech.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

The lines are always the same thickness (maybe .1pt or less), they ALWAYS run at 90 degrees to the laser movement, we've recalibrated, etc. etc.....the lines are ALWAYS in the opaque areas and the cable is about 8 years old.

That'd be great if the AGFA guy could help....

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 08, 2008, 08:54:24 AMThe lines are always the same thickness (maybe .1pt or less), they ALWAYS run at 90 degrees to the laser movement, we've recalibrated, etc. etc.....the lines are ALWAYS in the opaque areas and the cable is about 8 years old.

That'd be great if the AGFA guy could help....

I'm on it. Stand by....
Member #285 - Civilian

EyeTech

We had the same issue on a ECRM, we were advise to change the scsi cable too.

Trouble is since the issue only happened every so often I can't be sure that it cured the fault. But at least it's a quick and cheap repair if it does work.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

pspdfppdfxhd

Hey DCS, any word? Don't mean to bug you, just wonderin is all.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 11, 2008, 08:13:28 AMHey DCS, any word? Don't mean to bug you, just wonderin is all.

He never showed op Friday, and I don't work on Mondays... but, I did leave a message on his voice mail late Friday. I asked him to give me a call tomorrow. I will probably know something then. We'll get you figured out man! :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

Awesome! I'd like to honor you by naming my next dog after you. But I just can't get my head around saying "Come here Digital Crap Shoveler, come here. Or good boy Digital Crap Shoveler, good boy. Don't worry, I'll think of something though..........