News:

Main Menu

Agfa thermal plates?

Started by G_Town, September 25, 2008, 07:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Anyone using them? What are the name of the plates?

We have heard that we may be switching from baked Kodak golds to non baked agfa plates and I want to start gathering info on them.

Thanks

p.s. I've always disliked agfa, oh well.

G_Town

So how about this, is anyone using any agfa plates?!?!?

:tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

We used to run P-970s, now we are running Elites. Pressman seem to like them better.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

They thermal, baked non baked?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: G_Town on October 12, 2008, 07:07:21 PMThey thermal, baked non baked?

The P970s were post-bake, and the Elites are not. Yes, they are both thermal.... violet = yucky!
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

i'm using azura

non baked chem free plate

good so far. had 260k impressions from a couple of plates, but is vulnerable a bit to aggressive substrates and inks

not cheap, but so far, in 4 months now, i have only 4 10ltr tubs of waste to dispose of, have cleaned gum unit once (its due again and takes about half hour) and press love em.

in fairness agfa have been good too - any issues whatsoever and they are on to it straight away - and i'm not and never have been an agfa fan.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

G_Town

Quote from: beermonster on October 13, 2008, 04:08:50 AMi'm using azura

non baked chem free plate

good so far. had 260k impressions from a couple of plates, but is vulnerable a bit to aggressive substrates and inks

not cheap, but so far, in 4 months now, i have only 4 10ltr tubs of waste to dispose of, have cleaned gum unit once (its due again and takes about half hour) and press love em.

in fairness agfa have been good too - any issues whatsoever and they are on to it straight away - and i'm not and never have been an agfa fan.

Thanks for the info, we might be switching from Kodak golds (pre and post baked to an agfa non baked plate) don't know which as this is a corporate deal (somebodies getting a trip to aruba :tongue:)

Just trying to figure out how they would compare to the kodaks.

beermonster

well i'd look at the amigo if agfa is in the frame - same technology as azura but a tougher plate etc

plate changes are always fun

30YearsandCounting

The P970 was replaced by the Elite.  Both have/had the option of post baking to extend run length.  Typically 300,000 without baking and 1,000,000 plus if you bake.
The Amigo is their "developer free" plate.  Not a "chemistry free" like the Azura.  The Amigo uses a "clean-out solution" that is more environmentally friendly than developer... but you still can't dump it down a drain.  The Amigo gets 300,000 without baking and I believe you have the option of using a baking gum to extend the run length.  We are currently running the Amigo and it is working well. 
- Where's Steve? ...I would have thought he would have jumped in by now.

beermonster

G_Town

beermonster

naa - he's a bastard - he shot the postman this morning - and he was delivering NEXT door!

johnny_jay

We are running the Amigo plates on an Avalon VLF. We can get a little over 200,000 impressions before the plates go bad. Our SOP is to output 2 sets of plates for any job over 200K. One other problem is that they are vulnerable to fingerprints, one plater wears gloves.

With our old Excalibur VLF we ran the P970 Baked plates. They were a good plate, the pressroom likes the Amigos better, they clean up better on press and a deletion pen works. Once the P970 was baked, it took a jackhammer to get the image off.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: johnny_jay on October 27, 2008, 12:28:45 PMWe are running the Amigo plates on an Avalon VLF. We can get a little over 200,000 impressions before the plates go bad. Our SOP is to output 2 sets of plates for any job over 200K. One other problem is that they are vulnerable to fingerprints, one plater wears gloves.

With our old Excalibur VLF we ran the P970 Baked plates. They were a good plate, the pressroom likes the Amigos better, they clean up better on press and a deletion pen works. Once the P970 was baked, it took a jackhammer to get the image off.

Ditto. We run the identical plates, and the same Platesetters, not the VLF models though. Pressman love them.
Member #285 - Civilian

The Stevinator

Never been a fan of AGFA plates much.  They're image-setters and plate-setters I can't complain much about though.

Personally I've always used Fuji and have been very happy with them.  Last I heard they were about to come out with a true chem-free plate.  That's probably already happened by now I suppose though.
SJM