Yucky "Yupo" synthetic paper???

Started by Sparky, October 03, 2007, 08:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

Anyone out there run this crap? I believe it's called Yupo synthetic plastic paper. I've had a job for the NY State Troopers now in the shop for over 2 months and we can't get it to run right, I have my powder on 100% coverage, the ink levels at 75% of normal, and backed everything off until I'm almost getting an image to the material and it still offsets, and takes weeks to dry. Even with an infrared dryer, and delivering to stacks of 150 sheets I still have problems. Combine that with the fact that this stuff is so full of static it sticks to the jogging bar at the delivery end and won't lay on the paper tray at all. We've been given different inks made for this stuff but to no avail. And to make matters even worse, it's a run of 7600 sheets (at a 150 a tray, this is a long PITA job) :o  ???
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

David

we've run a couple o' jobs with this stuff, and I believe the pressroom hated it as much as you do.

it's just some weird a$$ paper.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

30YearsandCounting

We used to run it ...and hated it.  Forget trying to get it dry when it's humid outside.

doubting_thomas

We ran one job on it. I think the press guys used Tough Tek(?) ink, or mixed
varnish into the ink, or something. All I remember is their long faces, and the
files ripping fine.

Chilbear

Go here and try MXM I have used and printed on it. We found that if we GIVE a thicker material and it will save on the internal time lost. My original plastic job used 4mil cuz it was cheaper and took trays because of the static. We ended up on 12 point and voila instant problem solved. I upgraded the quote and said this or the highway next time. I have done the plastic  job every year for 5 now.

http://www.transilwrap.com/products/index.cfm?pID=2

Bottom line is it IS a PITA and cost me a pressguy over the frustration.

Sparky

Thanks for the link Chilbear. I'll show my boss the alternatives. I had to run 500 sheets of the Yupo today and it was just as bad as ever. The pages are for a NYS Trooper training manual for field use, that's why the need for water and grease and (powdered sugar) resistance. Now I have to back up the 7500 sheets of each signature (4 in all) and have it done by Friday night :'(  :'( and when running in stacks of 150 sheets (due to offsetting) it's gonna be a long night tomorrow.

Sparky

Thanks for the Links KOB. I've printed them out and will force feed them down my owners throat ::)

In the meantime I (we) have figured out how to get a decent result with it. First we got an equal amount of paper in the same thickness (the cover stock mic'd out at .30mm so 110# uncoated index was close (.24mm and cheap) so we had them collated together. I ran the lighter side of the job first at about 5000sph and cranked the powder up to 80 (on a scale of 1 - 99, and 25 being our normal) and also created a curve for the process of a 75% value for the C,M,Y, and 80% for the K. then limited my stacks to 400 (200 Yupo and 200 Index). Damn if the job wasn't dry over night, and not one bit of offsetting  8) 8)

I ran that last Sat. and finally I'm going in tomorrow (Sat.) to run the outside of the cover. 2000 (well 4000 counting the index paper) in stacks of 200, (100/100), then see if we can "un-collate" the sheets on Monday...

And get this damn job out of the shop. When I started with this company in August (8/8/07) the job had already been floating around the shop for 3 months, bad decisions, unfamiliarity with the product, has brought us to learning one hell of a lot about a product we never want to see in the shop again... ::) >:( >:(