Dreamweaver CS4 - changing text color without CSS?

Started by DCurry, January 26, 2009, 07:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

First let me state that I learned how to use DW version 3 about 7 years ago and found it pretty simple. I made some simple websites and never had a real problem.

Now, I have upgraded to DWCS4 and find that I can't make a simple HTML page do what I want - namely, I can't figure out how to simply change the color and other attributes of text without getting involved in CSS. I know that CSS is the future, but right now I don't need the future, just a simple way to change the color of some text! I am having to resort to actually going into the code and editing it there, but don't want to do that if I really don't have to.

It is for an HTML email blast campaign, so from what I understand CSS isn't the best solution anyway.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

All I've got is CS3 here but I can't imagine they are all that much different. If you are in Design view and have the text selected that you want to change you should see the attached pallet at the bottom of the screen. It has all of the text attributes in it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I know - that's what I'm looking for. They must have changed something, the bastards. Here's my screenshot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

It appears you have a PHP file open (index.php) instead of an HTML file. Plus those are the properties for an image, not text, or so it appears.

gnubler

HTML and CSS go together like beer & pretzels and should not be separated. But you're right, I don't think they play well in the body of an email and it's almost pointless anyway because so many people have their email prefs set to strip out HTML in emails.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2009, 11:21:00 AMIt appears you have a PHP file open (index.php) instead of an HTML file. Plus those are the properties for an image, not text, or so it appears.
Nope, it is in fact an HTML file, and there is type selected. Hence my confusion!

Joe

That's odd. I'll ARD into my work Mac and see if I get the same thing in CS4.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 26, 2009, 11:10:21 AMI know - that's what I'm looking for. They must have changed something, the bastards. Here's my screenshot.

Looking at that image it appears that even though you are editing HTML you have to click the little CSS button to the far left side of that screen shot you posted (reattached here). Once you do that you'll see the normal text editing tools.

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on January 27, 2009, 02:44:28 AMLooking at that image it appears that even though you are editing HTML you have to click the little CSS button to the far left side of that screen shot you posted (reattached here). Once you do that you'll see the normal text editing tools.

I've tried that and when I attempt to make a change I get some crazy window popping up wanting me to define a style. Then, when I actually get the color to change, I can't just change the color of one character at a time (I have bullets that I want to be a different color.)

I have the DWCS4 for Dummies book on order from the library, since obviously I am a dummy. It seems to me Adobe is making this way too complicated for me to unravel on my own.

edit: OK, I think I might have figured it out. I made a new inline style and it let me change the color of all the text. To then go back and change the individual bullets, I had to make a new inline style again. This is gay.

Joe

Yeah, I think this is what happens when too many programmers gather in one room. Lets take something really easy (HTML) and make it so the average person can't understand shit about it (HTML + CSS + PHP + FLASH +  :death: ).

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on January 27, 2009, 07:35:30 AMThis is gay.

:laugh: I say that at least 18 times a day, usually in conjunction with some variation of the F word.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Well, I'm glad you went through this pain Dan - I fired up DW CS4 for the very first time this week just to mess around and could not for the life of me figure this simple thing out!! Felt like a real mooron, good to know it's the app & not my failed mental capacity.  :lipsrsealed:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Web design frustrations and "quirks" are the leading cause of suicide jumps from the Rio Grande Gorge bridge in Northern NM. It's true.

Slappy

So, what's good for learning these days?
Adobe Classroom in a Book?
Lynda.com?
<Insert Other>?

I'm not much of a designer, but I wouldn't mind keeping up on the apps, and we installed them as part of the CS4 Suite so I might as well.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Springing into HTML & CSS by Molly Holzschlag
Anything by Eric Meyer
Sitepoint's CSS Anthology (I have it sitting here on my desk)

Learn to code HTML & CSS and you're on your way. I still use a CSS cheat sheet daily because I can never remember all the selectors.