Burst bound & section sewn book, gutter in spine? HELP!

Started by SimonCharlie, February 09, 2009, 02:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonCharlie

Hi,
Iam doing a 196pp Handbook and is to be "Burst Bound" and "Section Sewn". Do I need to include a double trim/gutter in the spine of the imposed pages as I would normally do for a "Perfect Bound" book to allow for the grinding/roughing of the pages prior to gluing. As I understand it when "burst Binding" the spines of the imposed pages are "perforated" allowing the glue to penetrate the pages and therefore is not ground at all, so just a normal spine is ok. But if the sections are getting sewn in does this make a difference?

Any Help and explaination would be much appreciated

Thanks

Simon
:huh:

frailer

Welcome to the forum, SimonCharlie.

My understanding of the terms "burst bound", and "section sewn" is that they are 2 different binding methods. I reckon they can't be done as both. If you are sure it is being done section sewn, then, (I believe from my limited experience with them...98% of our stuff is saddle), you do not need extra "gutter" at the spine. We usually do this with "burst", however.

As I understand it, the sewing needs to maintain its integrity, and be incorporated into the spine glue. It could not be "ground away", as in a burst bind...there would be no point in having it sewn.

We routinely allow 1mm offset from the spine for burst, however, as you say, to allow for the grinding/exposing for glue saturation.

Bear in mind section-sewn sections are effectively a collection of stacked, but "nested" saddle-stitch style elements. I think of them as a bunch of saddles stacked from front to back of book. But you're not signalling a problem with this, so won't rabbit on about it.    :cheesy:   Getting numbers to flow through section sewn is the bugbear, IMO.

Other responses will surely follow.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

SimonCharlie

Basically, what I want to know is whether I need to add a gutter to the spine when imposing the job. As burst bound books don't need a grind off, (they are perforated down the spine) do I still need an allowance for this, as you say, you allow 1mm, is 2mm overall ie 1mm to the left and 1mm to the right?
Then the book is to be section sewn into the cover, and I don't know if this requires an allowance in the spine as well, or what other allowances I need to make, if any?

Thanks again in advance!
Sc

frailer

Quote from: frailer on February 09, 2009, 03:57:39 AMIf you are sure it is being done section sewn, then, (I believe from my limited experience with them...98% of our stuff is saddle), you do not need extra "gutter" at the spine.

Section sewn = no gutter requirement. My 2 bob's worth.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Monika

Hi Simon,
I think maybe you are talking about thread sewn binding. Its like perfect binding with glue but extra signatures are sewn together(more durable method than just perfect binding) Picture http://www.allionprinting.com/wordpress/images/thread2.jpg
The extra gutter is not needed too for this binding ;)
www.inter-alia.lt/en specializing in books, magazines, newspapers and flyers printing in Europe. Please send a request and i will be happy to help you ;)