Anyone ever have this error?

Started by iceman99, March 11, 2009, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Okay, we'll stop teasing you about using inferior machines, we mean no harm, really.  :cheesy: I have as many peecees here as Macs, which is why I hate them so. I did have to reboot one of the macs last summer tho, I was devastated.   :tongue:

In my experience, it is really a Windows OS problem. Seriously, I'm not giving you crap about this. A quick fix is a reboot, since it appears to be a memory leak problem. When I start seeing this message, a reboot usually stops it for a couple days but I know it will keep up. My main Xitron server (A Big Ass Dell Precision with tons of storage and memory) just had this problem with Calibration Manager. Same exact message. Did a reboot, fixed it for a couple days then it got bad. Luckily, I was at a slow week so, I junked the Workflow database, backed up settings, striped her down and started fresh. It took a day and a lot of work but it straightened it out.

A good defrag can help along with keeping a VERY clean PC. My PCs actually run smooth but it is a LOT of work keeping them in that shape, as opposed to the Macs that just work, all the time. Also, make sure that PC is ramped up on memory. I hate to suggest reinstalling the program but you might have to resort to this if it gets too bad. I would give the machine a good massage and clean her out first tho.

PS. Back up your Preps templates to a DVD before messing with the machine. I go as far as to keep off-site backups of my Workflow settings and all Preps templates. You can buy new software and re-install easily, but restoring settings and rebuilding templates is major. I take copies home. Always back up before running defrag or other maintenance tools!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

Good advice. All our servers and rips are Windows PCs and we restart them every morning to avoid this very problem.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Ear

Yep, I hear ya. Seriously, I leave the Macs on forever. Rarely have to restart one and if I do, it's usually because it was hooked up to a peecee that just went down.

I have a bunch of kids, boys and girls. The Macs are like the boys, they just keep doing their thing, very low maintenance. The peecees are like the girls; touchy, fragile, break down if you look at them wrong and have to be taken out of commission 1 week out of the month FFS! A necessary evil but not always fun to have around.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Strange, here all the servers are PCs and rarely have any issues. Now the mac on the other hand has to be rebooted weekly. I build all my own PCs and it's rare I have an issue I can't easily fix. Walked in last tuesday to find the mac totally forgot what resolution to run my second monitor at. It was not possible to get it back to the way it was without 2 hours of finding a solution and buying 3rd party software.

I am more of a PC person than Mac but in order to be honest to myself I've realized they both suck.  :cry:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: iceman99 on March 11, 2009, 02:16:58 PMWe had nothing but problems with the Mac's. The company made the decision to move towards PC's a couple years ago and I have to tell you we have had more success and less issue's with the PC's then the Mac's. You ask any of the designers here and they will tell you they prefer the PC's. But to each there own I guess. I appreciate all of the helpful advice you all have given me and hopefully I will still get more to come!!

Maybe the problem was too many apostrophes being typed?  :ninja:

A designer that prefers Windows? I MUST know more!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on March 11, 2009, 02:57:37 PMI have a bunch of kids, boys and girls. The Macs are like the boys, they just keep doing their thing, very low maintenance. The peecees are like the girls; touchy, fragile, break down if you look at them wrong and have to be taken out of commission 1 week out of the month FFS! A necessary evil but not always fun to have around.

My husband is a peecee. He's actually on a one week time out right now.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david