How much for a set of plates and makeready?

Started by EyeTech, October 09, 2007, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

Just wondering really - how much does your company charge for a set of cmyk plates and a setup for 26" / SRA2 press?

Hourly rate for the press would be interesting too.

At our company it's 80.00gbp for plates and 60.00gbp for the makeready
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Sparky

I guess your topic is going nowhere, so I'll chime in with what we charge for a 12 x 18 Ryobi, using a PlateStream platesetter (our cost $8 USD per) and processing time and make-ready I believe it was about just under $100. Our charge for a minimum run of 4/color business cards (250) was $121, which was about 30 min. on press (taking in to account it was a 2/color press, drying time between colors, etc.)

Breaking the cost down to just plates and makeready is difficult at best. The press I run now (Presstek 34DI) can produce a set of 4/color plates and make-ready in less than 15 min., and run 1,000 shts in about 8 min. (1 pass, using 12 x 18 80# gloss text) then to burn another set of plates and do a sheet-wise back-up, figure another 25 minutes. The end result can net you 2,000 8.5 x 11 3-panel brochures for around $340. Even if we do a work/tumble and use just one set of plates there is still a waiting period for ink drying of about 15-20 minutes, but at least the plate cost is down ($40 for a set of 4/color plates).

On your press, I would assume your talking conventional plate burning, processing, mounting on press, etc. Take into account the amount of time it takes and material cost, figuring a 30-40% mark-up on cost and what the hourly production rate of a press like that can produce, and do the math.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

EyeTech

Our platemaking is via CTP (AGFA + ApogeeX), a set of plates gets output inside 10 mins, on press and in position in 6 mins (Komori + auto plate up), usually 2 runs of 50 sheets to get up to colour on straightforward work like flyers etc and we're running.

Our hourly rate is 110GBP (around 200$) at an average run speed of 10,000 impressions per hour.

I suppose the lack of response from other members may be down to pre-press or pressroom staff not being aware of the component costs involved (no reason why they should unless they estimate the jobs too) but thanks for your input.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

hagar_uk

Quote from: EyeTech on October 09, 2007, 11:07:01 AMJust wondering really - how much does your company charge for a set of cmyk plates and a setup for 26" / SRA2 press?

Hourly rate for the press would be interesting too.

At our company it's 80.00gbp for plates and 60.00gbp for the makeready

I don't work in a print company but work in a company that supplies many of them,  most are running SM52 or GTO type presses and in passing conversations, hourly charge is usuallt £120-£150