SM102 2 color doing 4 color work

Started by LoganBlade, November 30, 2007, 05:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganBlade

Anyone else running 4 color work on a 2 color press? I have done it many times on 100# coated text. Problem is need to run on 100# uncoated. Paper stretches on first pass so problems on second pass. Any ideas as to a solution. Understand it is the nature of the beast but any great prepress fixes for this problem that I am not aware of. Someone help me out?  Thanks for any ideas.

100# Accent Text
full sheet printing 25 x 38

I am thinking maybe doing it 12.5x 38 or 14 x 40sheet size.
minimizing the tailspreadonthefirst pass.

Anyother solutions are welcome.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

almaink

Been doing that here for over 40 years now ( 2-2/c 40"  Heidelbergs). We see no difference between coated and uncoated stock tho, and we run 2/c on one press the other 2 on the other press. We run 28" x 40" stock as well. Not being a pressman I have no idea what to tell you, but I'd think it's a press issue. Packing maybe?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

David

Is the paper actually stretching or is the press printing long?

I would lean to the "printing long" myself.

Is this a perfecting press or are you printing a work and back (or 1 sided)?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Use Web Growth Compensation in Preps or whatever imposing application you are using.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LoganBlade

First pass is beautifull. second seems to print outside. I think maybe I will llok at blankets maybe a different type might help. As we all know pressman can be a pain when thye don't want to try diffent things but mine are pretty decent about it. thanks for the feed back

Sparky

Company I left had 3 2/color Ryobi's that they ran 4/color on all the time, if it wasn't to big a run (anything over 1,000). Pressmen always bitched, but we stumbled through it.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

LoganBlade

We have been running past 5 years with packing .002" to .004" over spec this might be the problem. Getting new packing in and we will see.