News:

Main Menu

Web Design

Started by Ear, October 09, 2007, 11:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Anyone do design for web as well as print? I have a project where I need to design a magazine and a web page but I don't know how . I know Adobe has a web design program but I haven't tried it. I am a pretty serious application head and can pick up most software in a heartbeat. Should I go with one of these design programs or try to tackle html? Any advice on the subject is welcome.

The client has already purchased the domain name as well as a hosting service.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Joomla

I'm trying to teach myself this right now. Seems to be full featured and powerful. And FREE!!!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

papa v2.0

Hi
ive used golive in CS2 and its not to hard to pick up

can get messy though if you dont keep track of those links

keep it simple and it will be fine

to see what other sites are made in

in the browser (say safari) go to 'View' - 'view source'

this will show the html code

in the first couple of lines there will be a statement saying what app created that site or if it was hand coded etc

might be of use to see which site use what

ninjaPB_43

I personally would be hesitant to go live on the web with a site you have built until you fully know what your doing and what the standards are...    design heads/webmasters can be pretty brutal about sloppy work..

here's a thread at GDF that can be really useful..

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13057

GL.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Thanks guys... that GDF link is the bomb, It's going to keep me off the ol stumble upon for weeks!  ;)
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Web design is a big, messy monster. I've been toying with it for about 4 yrs now and I still struggle with it. As a beginner, I recommend using a program like GoLive or Dreamweaver (if you have them), but if not there are free/shareware apps out there that help with code. Though I usually write my own code, I will sometimes use Dreamweaver because it has pop-up helpers for tags and selectors, and closes tags for you. There are also online validators for HTML and CSS at the W3C website.

Most importantly, do a bit of research, there are tons of sites out there. Structure your page with XHTML and style it with an external CSS file. This is the new standard and you'll have the least headaches (until, of course, you check your pages in IE....HAVE FUN!)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Thanks for the link Joe. I looked at the site and they are referring to it as Open Source... Does that mean you have to run it on a Linux or will it run on a Mac?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: gnubler on October 09, 2007, 11:57:45 AMWeb design is a big, messy monster. I've been toying with it for about 4 yrs now and I still struggle with it.

This is a pretty big relief to hear as I fully respect your knowledge based on your posts..   I've been sloshing around in it for about a year now and have been frustrated time and time again, thinking it was just me..   :-[

It really breaks my head trying to figure out why one thing will work great in one browser and not in another..    :-\
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

QuoteThanks for the link Joe. I looked at the site and they are referring to it as Open Source... Does that mean you have to run it on a Linux or will it run on a Mac?

It is installed on the web site where it's hosted. I think the hosting site does need to be Linux but then you design through the web browser on any platform you so choose.

Ear

You guys tell scary stories... fortunately, I'm cocky enough/stupid enough to not be scared of much. It serves me well most of the time as I am best under pressure but it has bit me in the ass before.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on October 09, 2007, 12:11:33 PM
QuoteThanks for the link Joe. I looked at the site and they are referring to it as Open Source... Does that mean you have to run it on a Linux or will it run on a Mac?

It is installed on the web site where it's hosted. I think the hosting site does need to be Linux but then you design through the web browser on any platform you so choose.

Interesting. It's a Unix site... still open source.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on October 09, 2007, 12:13:55 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 09, 2007, 12:11:33 PM

Interesting. It's a Unix site... still open source.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. I printed out the 183 pg PDF manual and study it when I get the chance.

Ear

One of the girls that will be working on the project took a Dreamweaver course years ago... maybe I should get 2 copies of the latest Dreamweaver

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Earendil on October 09, 2007, 12:12:38 PMUNfortunately, I'm cocky enough/stupid enough to not be scared of much. It serves me well most of the time as I am best under pressure but it has bit me in the ass before.

Hence, a career in printing?..    :P   sorry, had to..

..being cocky/stubborn has gotten me most, if not all, of the knowledge I have..   so go for it, just be wise/thorough about checking everything(and I mean EVERYTHING) before you take a customer's site live and start driving traffic to it..   the last thing you want is a "feature" or "function" to not work and have the customer come back wondering why his site's fahcked..

:ninja:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Earendil on October 09, 2007, 12:22:26 PMOne of the girls that will be working on the project took a Dreamweaver course years ago... maybe I should get 2 copies of the latest Dreamweaver

you know when you join ASN, you get a copy of CS3 design premium and that has Flash and Dreamweaver with it...  We got a PC version and Mac version for just the $595/yr registration cost...   just a thought..