Page numbering outside bleed

Started by frailer, July 26, 2009, 06:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

This is an essential for us. In the past, in .ps In and Out route, this was set in the Job ID dialogue. The numbers would then fall on the job outside each page, according to the X and Y settings in Job ID.
Does anyone know how to set this up in PDF In>PDF Out, which is how we're heading in PREPS now? New op. here thinks it might be under Collating Marks... :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Collating marks will give you sig number. Not page number. I don't have Preps at home. Check out eCentral/GUA Forums if you can. I know I've seen something there about page numbering in Preps.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

FWIW, have posted at GUA...here

We have been working in 5.3.3. Tried the old .ps route, to get the page Nos. printing as per template.   :huh:  Disappeared? Still have to investigate this.
Also, from wa-a-ay back, I have notes on how to set the page Nos. to print for .ps output...in JobID dialogue box. Anyone familiar with this? Cannot find it. Surely this hasn't been removed for 5.3.3.    :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

rotarypower3

I'm sure I had a script around somewhere that did this  :huh:  I'll have to have a look.......
Have used.... Linotronic 530/630 │ Hercules50 │ Scitex Dolev 800 │ Scitex PSM 5/6/7 │ BlackMagic │ EFI Colorproof │ Kodak Prinergy  │ Agfa Apogee Prepress  │

Fixing designers junk since '98!

Joe

I read that the script is available on the eCentral download area but I haven't had time to check. It may only work for PS jobs as well.

FWIW...you can do this in Pitstop as well (on the single page PDF's). Check the sample action lists and modify to suit your needs if you can't make it work in Preps.

frailer

Thanks Joe, having a look now. I have a feeling that what I'm looking for may be outside the scope of the PDF in/out route.   :undecided:

Shall check out the Pitstop thingy tomorrow, at work. Are you saying it's an EAL that will run on a single, (multi-page), PDF? I'd have to readjust the bleed value in PREPS, I'm thinking, from 3mm, (which I'd put on the original Exported PDF), to, say 5mm in PREPS. That would, in theory, allow me 2mm to squeeze in the EAL'd number when it prints from PREPS.
All to be tested...LOL.    :azn:  All I know is, we cannot live without this "facility".   :sad:

Joe

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is an EAL that deals with page numbers. I'll have a look when I get to work.

frailer

63 views of my post over at the big red'n'yellow castle.   As the Beatles once sang..."No Reply".    :sleepy:    :sleepy:

tapdn

I pretty much gave up on the Preps forum Frailer. There's way more responsive help here at B4 Print.
Our CIP3 on press reads low folio number ("pg_001", "pg_002", etc) and I searched for a way to add that automatically to job name without having to print each side of every signature and manually name- no luck.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Here is the script from Kodak for adding the folio numbers. Haven't tried it. Use at your own risk. :laugh:

frailer

Thanks, Joe. have downloaded and placed in PREPS' Script folder. Am a Script newb...basic procedure?   :embarrassed:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 29, 2009, 01:34:55 AMThanks, Joe. have downloaded and placed in PREPS' Script folder. Am a Script newb...basic procedure?   :embarrassed:

:huh: I dunno. Never used one in Preps. Let me know how it goes.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 29, 2009, 05:18:15 AM:huh: I dunno. Never used one in Preps. Let me know how it goes.

This is a sad admission, but I think I "happen to have" the PREPS 5 manual at home here. Bedtime reading. Imagine the nightmares.    :rolleyes:   Yeah, and I'm an optimist thinking it might actually tell me how to run a Script..Better just roll up the sleeves tomorrow...

tapdn

Quote from: frailer on July 29, 2009, 05:45:20 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 29, 2009, 05:18:15 AM:huh: I dunno. Never used one in Preps. Let me know how it goes.

This is a sad admission, but I think I "happen to have" the PREPS 5 manual at home here. Bedtime reading. Imagine the nightmares.    :rolleyes:   Yeah, and I'm an optimist thinking it might actually tell me how to run a Script..Better just roll up the sleeves tomorrow...

:shocked:
you have a manual!!???
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

frailer

Quote from: tapdn on July 29, 2009, 06:20:41 AM:shocked:
you have a manual!!???

Yep, I'm that annoying kid around the corner who always had a new Speedwell Special Sports,...er, Schwinn...while yours was a dinged/scratched Malvern Star.

My new compadre, who's pretty adept at PREPS, managed to get one test set on the RIP; with page numbers sitting just off bleed, on the page foot. He couldn't replicate it without creating other problems. Somehow he did this via Tutorial Smartmarks. This was, alas, in Mixed files>PS, not PDF In/Out.  More tinkering next week.  We couldn't get the Folio Script to run. Haven't given up yet. I'm astounded that this isn't a routine ticket item in a high-end impo app.   :angry:

He owes me PREPS refresher training; sat down and introduced him the the delights of Dynastrip this arvo....LOL.   :evil: