Creep settings in Preps 5.3.2

Started by Trish, August 07, 2009, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trish

It's Friday afternoon...and I cannot think any more. I have a 72 page book plus cover. Book size is 5.5 x 8.5. running as a 4 pager for the cover, then an 8 page work & turn, then 4 - 16 page sheetwise forms.

Running on 80# Titan Gloss text.

Here is what I am coming up with.
72/4=18x.0034=.0612

Where do I put this in...inner / outer? Do I select all the sigs and put in the same number?
I do not want to just guess, I keep reading different things, and now I'm more confused. And I do not want to be the one responsible for 40 bad plates, especially with a tight turn around. :blowup:
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

tapdn

The Outter would be a negative number and the Inner a positive applied to the entire job. I usually split the difference, so I would use Outter= -.0306 and Inner=.0306.
Appling to just the inner sheets would be Outter= 0 and Inner= .0612
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Trish

I select all the sigs, other then the cover, and applied. Is that correct. I attached a screen capture.

thanks
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

tapdn

Correct me if I am wrong (Joe), but why not apply to cover signature also? Caution if you have pages that jump the gutter (crossover). Otherwise, yes, that looks right to me.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

I think it does ALL sigs in the job no matter what you have selected. I'd do the cover in a separate job.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Yes, you could do the cover as well. We usually don't because we usually impose them separately. If something looks like it will be too close to the trim we just move the pages in a little further.

Trish

ok. I broke the cover into its own file, selected all the sigs, and set the inner and outer numbers.
I guess it is somewhat confusing because it it now showing 2 sets of marks. How does it now, that the last sig (on the inside) is suppose to get the most adjustment. it figures it by all of the sigs, correct, not on a per sig basis.

Joe

It figures it on the whole job (all sigs) if you did it by just entering in the inner number then it does the pages in the middle of the book the most and the number decreases as the pages get closer to the outside. If you had done it the other way where you enter in Outter= -.0306 and Inner=.0306 as Tap suggested it will move the inner pages in and the outer pages out and meet at the 1/4th point of the book where the value becomes 0. (learned that here about the inner and outter numbers)

The 2 sets of marks is where the marks begin to overlap. There is a device config setting in the config file you can change to keep the marks from moving. I'll have to look that up and get back here with the info for that.

frailer

As mentioned, any spine crossover images you'll need to pull pack by previewing/adjusting those pages. Trouble is, if you've got folios or other stuff near the outer edge, you may have to get "creative" there too, back in Q/ID, or Pitstop. No point in adjusting your crossover if you chop half a folio off.    :azn:
Must try and road test that Scaling feature instead sometime, too Joe. That looks like a goer.

All this too late, I guess. It's Saturday morning here...missed the fun again.

...Oh, hope you got it sorted Trish. Let us know. 

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

Quote from: frailer on August 07, 2009, 03:33:44 PMAs mentioned, any spine crossover images you'll need to pull pack by previewing/adjusting those pages. 

Not if you click the Scale button when assigning creep values - it will horizontally scale the pages rather than move them, thereby keeping crossovers intact!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on August 07, 2009, 06:28:51 PM
Quote from: frailer on August 07, 2009, 03:33:44 PMAs mentioned, any spine crossover images you'll need to pull pack by previewing/adjusting those pages. 

Not if you click the Scale button when assigning creep values - it will horizontally scale the pages rather than move them, thereby keeping crossovers intact!

That is a great feature. I use it for any book with spreads that needs creep.

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on August 07, 2009, 06:34:35 PMThat is a great feature. I use it for any book with spreads that needs creep.

I've not used it yet, but you should know, Joe, that if you use Prinergy to Create Imposition the scale feature is unavailable. To make it work you'll have to make a Preps job, populate with blank pages and send a PJTF, then import that into Prinergy.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I haven't needed it in Prinergy yet. I'll keep that in mind when I do. Thanks.

tapdn

I'm seriously out of touch here apparently. I am going to have to educate myself about Prinergy. What is the advantages? What soes it do that creating a job in Preps and dropping it into my Rip doesn't?
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Automation. Combining it in Prinergy, using smart hot folders or Insite for file submission, APA (Automatic Page Assigment), and Auto Imposing you can make it do the whole process from refining, trapping, and imposition without operator assistance. Of course a lot of things have to go right before it will work starting with the customer creating good PDF's and naming files correctly. :wink: