Precycling - just a marketing buzzword or is this actually happening?

Started by Laurens, September 01, 2009, 03:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

In a blog post I read about 'precycling', a word I had never heard of before. Apparently it is a term that refers to 'a change in customer thinking toward the reduction in waste and a predisposition toward recyclable packaging and packaging or manufacturing components that make products easier to recycle'.

Being a bit of a cynic, I am wondering if this is just marketing bullshit or an actual trend. Has anyone actually noticed that customers care more about recycling in their choice of design or materials? Is anyone actually winning or loosing sales because of their company's environmental policy? Just curious...
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Aaron

I have customers ask on as regular basis if our inks are soy based and if we have house recycled stocks. I guess the whole green thing is growing... but I couldn't tell if it's causing us to lose jobs because of it.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

youston

Quote from: Laurens on September 01, 2009, 03:25:07 PMIn a blog post I read about 'precycling', a word I had never heard of before. Apparently it is a term that refers to 'a change in customer thinking toward the reduction in waste and a predisposition toward recyclable packaging and packaging or manufacturing components that make products easier to recycle'.

Being a bit of a cynic, I am wondering if this is just marketing bullshit or an actual trend. Has anyone actually noticed that customers care more about recycling in their choice of design or materials? Is anyone actually winning or loosing sales because of their company's environmental policy? Just curious...

Laurens, at our shop we had a big push about a year ago to become more 'green.' Then, the owner found out how much more money that would cost him, the recession hit, and the initiative was dropped.

I don't think that any of our regular clients care one way or the other. Most people we've seen who have an eye for the environmental impact of the work we do are government entities and large, large, LARGE corporations. We don't do much business with them, anyway.

Tracy

Ive been searching for some new recycling logos just today.
the forest and carbon logos :huh: I think it is a new trend.

Ear

Oh heck ya, all the time. I live in Oregon and with the decline of the timber industry and the increase in 'treehuggers', going green and boasting of printing on recycled paper is a big deal. Ashland, a well known liberal/activist town in Southern Oregon is all about recycle content and soy inks, it's a big deal in print shops here.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Unfortunately I've had a number of clients in the past who wanted the recycling logo on their print material, but the stock wasn't always recycled stock (and they didn't care, they just wanted to use the logo)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

We are really big on being green.
We are certified as one of only five printers in the US that is 100% wind powered electricity.
We get a lot of request for recycled info.
We are of course FSC/SFI Certified as well as ISO 9001 and 14001 certified.
We print a lot of FSC compliant jobs and how more on the horizon.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

I had a hippie client bring in their own home-made paper. Smashed 2 blankets trying to print on it. It smelled of patchouli and actually had granola in it. Didn't taste too bad tho... we used soy ink, so I ate the make-ready spoils... got one hell of a buzz from it too.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

Lots of it is just for show. Make a big deal of separating the paper from the plastic from the metal in the trash, cut down on make ready, soy inks etc while wasting tons of paper on internal proofs, work forms, memos and the like.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on September 02, 2009, 10:06:40 AMI had a hippie client bring in their own home-made paper. Smashed 2 blankets trying to print on it. It smelled of patchouli and actually had granola in it. Didn't taste too bad tho... we used soy ink, so I ate the make-ready spoils... got one hell of a buzz from it too.

Unbelievable. I had a client try something similar for some wedding invitations - total dreadlocked space cadet with super hairy underarms. She said she wanted to supply her own stock, so I said we'd try it and that we need 10% extra in case of a paper jam. She shows up with the "stock" and it's a bunch of brown paper grocery bags hand cut in different shapes. I ended up selling her a rubber stamp.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on September 02, 2009, 10:21:37 AM
Quote from: Earendil on September 02, 2009, 10:06:40 AMI had a hippie client bring in their own home-made paper. Smashed 2 blankets trying to print on it. It smelled of patchouli and actually had granola in it. Didn't taste too bad tho... we used soy ink, so I ate the make-ready spoils... got one hell of a buzz from it too.

Unbelievable. I had a client try something similar for some wedding invitations - total dreadlocked space cadet with super hairy underarms. She said she wanted to supply her own stock, so I said we'd try it and that we need 10% extra in case of a paper jam. She shows up with the "stock" and it's a bunch of brown paper grocery bags hand cut in different shapes. I ended up selling her a rubber stamp.

:laugh: Was the stamp made from recycled tires?

Joe

I know a lot of customers have good intentions but when it comes down to paying the price they always go with the cheaper price and "green" goes out the window.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on September 02, 2009, 10:23:48 AM

She actually asked, almost relentlessly, how the stamp was made and if it was "environmentally safe". She said she was going to make her own ink - probably out of beet juice or menstrual blood.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on September 02, 2009, 10:28:25 AMI know a lot of customers have good intentions but when it comes down to paying the price they always go with the cheaper price and "green" goes out the window.

That's been my experience, but they go ahead and keep the recycling logo on their printed material anyway.

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on September 02, 2009, 10:28:52 AM
Quote from: Earendil on September 02, 2009, 10:23:48 AM

She actually asked, almost relentlessly, how the stamp was made and if it was "environmentally safe". She said she was going to make her own ink - probably out of beet juice or menstrual blood.

I guess it would still be a PMS color.  :cheesy: