Switching ownership of Preps plus upgrade

Started by jimking, September 30, 2009, 08:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

As many of you know my company just merged with another who uses Dynastrip as its impo program for its xerox copiers and small presses. We will soon bring in a large multicolor offset presses and bindery equipment from the old shop into the new plant. The new plant purchased all of our equipment, computers  and software including preps which was bundled with our defunct, broken Apogee 2 workflow. I've somewhat talked the new boss into looking at preps instead of Dynastrip in our expansion. Does anyone know off hand if it is possible, since the new shop has ownership of preps now (version 3 I think), that we can purchase the new version of preps (upgrades) at a discount? Or would it be better to address this issue with vendors when purchasing a new workflow and CTP? Thanks! 

Joe

Version 3? Hmmmm...I'd think there is an upgrade path but you would have to ask Kodak to be sure. I'd definitely look into having it "thrown in" with a new workflow though. The latest version is 6 and it's vastly different than any version of Preps that anyone has seen. I looked at the beta while it was out and it's like completely re-learning imposition all over again.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Is your beta still working? Or did you upgrade?

Edit: And thanks for the link.

Ugggghhhh...eCentral sucks big time.

tapdn

ditto on ecentral. Still using the beta. I did put in a request for an upgrade, though I don't like it much I can see the writing on the wall for 5.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

If I try running the beta it tells me it has expired. :huh:

tapdn

Looks like I activated mine July 8 and it's still working Joe. Not sure but think I registered as a Beta tester.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

frailer

Good luck with the swap-over jimking.

Had a look at a Kodak movie. Why can't Fujifilm do that for their XMF 'flow.   :angry:  And yeah, thanks for the link, tap. We'll definitely be looking at the upgrade, whether we like it or not, at some stage. We've kissed Dyna goodbye.

Also, does the box graphic on the PREPS 6 movie mean that you're gonna be drowning?    :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

tapdn

these days I am just trying to stay afloat fer sure Frailer!  :rolleyes:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

jimking

Quote from: frailer on September 30, 2009, 01:44:34 PMGood luck with the swap-over jimking.

Had a look at a Kodak movie. Why can't Fujifilm do that for their XMF 'flow.   :angry:  And yeah, thanks for the link, tap. We'll definitely be looking at the upgrade, whether we like it or not, at some stage. We've kissed Dyna goodbye.

Also, does the box graphic on the PREPS 6 movie mean that you're gonna be drowning?    :laugh:
I have a question frailer. I've imposed a 17x11 sheetwise job on a 12x18 template and when I print the template to create a pdf for the DI I only receive one side of the imposition, not both sides. I have both sides clicked to print in the dialog box. Any thoughts?

jimking

It seems when I click either or front or back it works as separate files but when both front and back are clicked at the same time it only gives me one page. It could have something to do with the name I gave it, over writing itself.

frailer

Will be at work within the hour. More detail then, including screenshots as necessary.

A couple of things could be happening.

-in the Print dialogue, there is a button which controls whether you're printing multipage, (single), PDF; or printing by "side" (flats...whatever..). Its exact name eludes me (from home).
-or, yes, you could be overwriting the same file. There is a "Customise Output Name" button. Click that and change in there. It won't overwrite any previous then.

Might need more detail. Maybe some screenshots...

Hmmm. are you sure you're not looking at a 2 page PDF; but it's masquerading as a single page one?    :undecided:

Catch you from the coalface.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

jimking

Quote from: frailer on September 30, 2009, 03:08:40 PMWill be at work within the hour. More detail then, including screenshots as necessary.

A couple of things could be happening.

-in the Print dialogue, there is a button which controls whether you're printing multipage, (single), PDF; or printing by "side" (flats...whatever..). Its exact name eludes me (from home).
-or, yes, you could be overwriting the same file. There is a "Customise Output Name" button. Click that and change in there. It won't overwrite any previous then.

Might need more detail. Maybe some screenshots...

Hmmm. are you sure you're not looking at a 2 page PDF; but it's masquerading as a single page one?    :undecided:

Catch you from the coalface.
Now I'm at home. It was a sheetwise setup. You can view both front and back page 1 and 2. 

frailer

No worries...time diffs.

Screenshots in this post and next. Got a feeling you're experiencing a silly Dyna Output thing, to do with sides/flats. See if this helps, or throw more info. my way.

If "Flat Grouping"~ Group Sides is checked, you'll get everything in 1 PDF. Unchecked, it will give you a file for each forme.

frailer

Screenshot for Customise Output Name...

I'd like to think it's impossible to have "Front" and "Back" checked...and not get both Output. They may be as a single file, ("grouped"), or 2 files, ("Flats/ungrouped). Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
 Posting this a 8:30 pm here. Shall be back on 7 AM, about 4 pm'ish your time.