Cleaning the Azura gummer C125 & roller wear question

Started by DCurry, July 18, 2011, 12:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

Quote from: DCurry on July 20, 2011, 09:20:43 AMThanks, Corn. I actually just stumbled across that very information in Agfa's Service Manual. However, I wonder if that's going to help anything. The scrubbers are making proper contact and removing the un-lasered emulsion just fine, and the only thing that adjustment will do is to push the plate a little higher so it contacts the brushes more firmly. It won't change how the plate feeds between the next set of squeegee rollers, which pretty much just rest on each other.

I believe the problem lies with the rubber squeegee rollers immediately after the scrubber brushes, or perhaps the exit rollers though I don't know if their purpose is strictly to push the plate out or to also provide squeegee assistance.

We have the same thing here for about the last year.  Rollers need to be replaced but I've put it off as the press has had no issues. Same exact thing some gum remnants on the plate and sometimes they are wet.  Scrubbed and pumiced the rollers about two months ago but it came right back. We would need to replace the front top roller as well as the rear "squeegee" roller.

DCurry

I just did a scrub test and I made a 1/8-turn adjustment to raise the plate a tad. It doesn't look like the issue is any better, but it is hard to tell on the test plate because it sits there being scrubbed for 2 minutes and might not mimic a real plate's results.

I'll give it a couple of days and watch the results, then I'll contact my Agfa guy to see if he has any suggestions or if I should open up a service call.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

jimking

I realize this is a dated thread. DCurry, I noticed uneveness on our plates from the sqeegy rollers using the Azura C85/C120 cleaning unit. I changed the bushings the bottom rollers rest on. If they are like mine the bushing is plastic, the roller shaft is metal. Over time the metal wears down the plastic. Also this plastic bushings are spring activated. It did improve the plates.

DCurry

Excellent idea, jimking. I shall look into that tomorrow. Thanks!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

Well, I took a look today and I don't see how the bushings could possibly wear down (assuming we are talking about the same thing here). On the bottom roller at the end of the shaft there is a hard rubber (maybe even plastic) black bushing (see attached drawing - I am referring to part 15). This bushing is what rests on the spring, but it doesn't move - instead it allows the shaft inside it to rotate in place. Maybe you're suggesting it wears away on the inside?

I've got 2 extra bushings that came with the maintenance kit, but I would need 4. I guess I could replace 2 and see if it is improved. Before I do that I think I might put a sliver of cardboard beneath the springs to raise them up a bit, hopefully accomplishing the same thing. If it works I'll put something more durable in there (perhaps a flat Lego!)

jimking

It sounds like the same thing. When I took mine out I looked at the thickness of the plastic just above the spring where the roller rests and it was half the width of the new replacement. The metal shaft of the roller does wear down the plastic over time. I did have a Agfa technician here at my place and suggested this is the cause of plates coming out uneven after being squeeqeed. I did replace all 4 bushings and it looked much better except now the heater is not working.

DCurry

Do the bushings just pull straight off? I don't see any set screw or anything. I'd hate to break it.

As for your heater, my tech came out last year and installed a reset switch on it because they were having problems with them. He told me if my heater stops working to take off the panel beneath the exit rollers and press the reset button on the heater (I don't think it is labeled, but it's pretty much the only button you can press in there). It is on the chain side of the processor.

jimking

There were only two screws (right and left of bushing) holding each one in place. On my machine it was very easy to replace. Thanks for the reset switch info. I'll check it out and let you know if it was the easy button I was looking for.  :goodpost:

Farabomb

After reading I assume my brushes should be turning when a plate is going through but they are not.

The only instruction I got was run the rinse cycle once a week, clean out the washable filter every 6 months and you will have no issues. Seems this may not be the case. I'm going to try and clean up the brush section and see if I can't free it up. I have to call the AGFA dude for some reason today so I'll ask him too.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

FYI if the brush rollers do not turn, open the side panel by unscrewing the 2 buttonhead allen bolts. This will allow you to tilt the cover with the control panel on it back and the fuse box will be on the bottom, towards the back. The fuse will hinge up allowing you to test and replace the bad fuse.

I will say not having a clear top or a way to easily open while the plate is going through to see if everything is hunky-dory is a bit dumb. You can just easily unscrew the red safety latch and leave it in place allowing you to open it without it yelling at you.

I know, I know OSHA and Health and Safety bullshit but in my experience most of those have been disabled anyway. Just don't be dumb enough to put your hand into a dangerous place and you should be able to keep all things attached.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Now, finding said fuses to have backup is proving a bit difficult.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

You should be able to find the fuses at an electronics supply store. I took a bad one with me to the store and they hooked me up easily.

Farabomb

I may end up doing that. I'm not coming up with much on the google. Electronics stores are rare now but I know of one close enough.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry