Removing UV Coating

Started by Santa, August 25, 2011, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

Hi All,

Have a question about a job we ran at another printer.  It was offset on a 20 mil polyester and a UV coating.  Long and short the UV coating was not cut back from a glue spot on the polyester (We have to apply an adhesive to form a shape).  So the million dollar question anyone know a solvent that will remove UV coating from a polyester sheet?

David

I don't think you can, I'm assuming it's heat set?

you may need to put something on top of the UV coat that the glue will stick to, like an aqueous coat. We've had to do similar things, we ended up having to silk screen the new coat on top of the old.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

they use that stuff to finish furniture, it's not really going to come off. There is glue that will stick to it though, I've seen that situation before with some packaging and the converter used some extra sticky sticky.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Santa

That's what we are thinking as well. We have some different adhesives to try and that seems like it's going to be the best route.

andyfest

It's pretty much impossible to remove the UV coat so an aggressive glue is the way to go. If I can get hold of one of our guys in the gluing dept, I'll give you the spec for the glue we use.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

t-pat

Once for fun we coated some rocks in the parking lot with some leftover UV. It won't come off.
vdp donkey

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: tpatterson on August 25, 2011, 12:10:36 PMOnce for fun we coated some rocks in the parking lot with some leftover UV. It won't come off.
did the colors of the rocks "pop"?
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Sounds like he "jazzed them up"
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on August 25, 2011, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: tpatterson on August 25, 2011, 12:10:36 PMOnce for fun we coated some rocks in the parking lot with some leftover UV. It won't come off.

yes, we made pop rocks.
vdp donkey

Santa

yes, we made pop rocks.
[/quote]

:lmao: :goodpost:

Santa

DigiCorn

Quote from: tpatterson on August 25, 2011, 12:23:44 PM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on August 25, 2011, 12:11:26 PM

yes, we made pop rocks.
Don't eat Pop Rocks and drink a soda; you'll explode. That's how Mikey died.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Maybe... maybe not. Do me a favor; eat a large quantity of baking soda and drink a large quantity of vinegar and report the results back to me.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca