Need help - clogged nozzles on an Epson 9890

Started by AaronH, March 15, 2017, 10:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

I wouldn't waste my time on it. I had the same machine and I tried the windex thing for a week with no better results. What did work for me was to print at the highest DPI it will print at. Mine had a clogged cyan head so printing at highest DPI I would get a little banding sometimes but for most jobs it was fine just took a whole lot longer to print and used more ink.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

I do not miss these kinds of issues. The only thing I do with printers now is occasionally change a toner cartridge or add paper to the paper tray.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: Joe on March 17, 2017, 08:14:10 AM... add paper to the paper tray.

hazardous duty pay for that... nasty paper cuts you know.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Back in the day, Canon would have you take a paper towel, dampen it, stick it in the microwave so it's piping hot, and then wrap the nozzle, similar to the Windex trick.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Easiest fix is to wheel it up to your roof. Push it over the side.

Possum

Be sure to film it and get that to YouTube.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

AaronH

Well after a few days of the Windex trick. We've concluded it's toast. We can't get any ink to move in the Epson at all. Not even to the maintenance tank. While waiting for that I thought I'd fix, or at least attempt a fix, on the 10600. Fired it up and got it to print K, C, LC, and LM. No Magenta or Yellow though. After quite a while I discovered through a field service guide, that the problem on that one is likely due to a solenoid that is malfunctioning, an ink cap in before the maintenance cartridge or completely hosed tubes. Figuring on the expense of either machine, the boss doesn't want to pay for a tech to come fix either one.

Sorry, no happy ending everyone (Or is it?). I guess we'll be getting a new one somewhere down the line and we'll stick with the one 9900 for now.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Possum

Yeah, with pigment ink the heads get shot pretty easily, all those tiny holes. I looked into some solutions for that once with a 4800. There's a service that will take the heads and put them in a tank with some sort of chemical and sonic waves for a few days, but they charge more for that service than the machine is worth.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

That would be a ultrasonic cleaner. I've been looking into them for cleaning RC car parts. Cleans jewelry, eyeglasses, watches, all sorts of delicate stuff with either water or a solution. Around $100 on Amazon.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Quote from: Possum on March 23, 2017, 08:01:11 AMYeah, with pigment ink the heads get shot pretty easily, all those tiny holes. I looked into some solutions for that once with a 4800. There's a service that will take the heads and put them in a tank with some sort of chemical and sonic waves for a few days, but they charge more for that service than the machine is worth.

Yeah we were looking into how much it would cost to repair or replace parts. That's a scary road to go down. Makes you wonder how they get all those parts to go in to the printer case and charge less... Forced upgrade perhaps?

Farabomb

They don't make money on the printers, they make it on the consumables. That's why your official Epson ink is made out of unicorn blood.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

That makes a lot of sense. I was wondering what that smell was.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 23, 2017, 01:09:35 PMThey don't make money on the printers, they make it on the consumables. That's why your official Epson ink is made out of unicorn blood.

I've never agreed with that logic...ever asked them to just GIVE you the printer? Hint: They won't. :rotf:

Farabomb

Well, they're not drug dealers. You don't get your first taste for free, you have to buy in.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 01:35:30 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on March 23, 2017, 01:09:35 PMThey don't make money on the printers, they make it on the consumables. That's why your official Epson ink is made out of unicorn blood.

I've never agreed with that logic...ever asked them to just GIVE you the printer? Hint: They won't. :rotf:
Back in the day we got a lot of free shit, so long as you signed your life away on a long-term contract with pre-negotiated rates for consummables and minimum orders.  :vomit:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway