Stupid, stupid MacOS security flaw grants admin access to anyone

Started by Joe, November 29, 2017, 08:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

Nah, it's a Mac OS problem. They still have to figure out how to make their cash cow, the iPhone be able to type an i.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Exactly why I hit the "later" button on OS upgrades for a year after their release. Sierra is enough of a turd... not touching HighSierra until .6 or so.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mc hristel

So Apple released a security patch to fix this but never updated the actual installer for High Sierra.  :facepalm:

... And who are these people who ran the security patch before they had High Sierra installed and thought that would fix it?  :facepalm: :facepalm:

...And who doesn't restart their computer after installing a new OS?  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Joe

The security issue was in 13.0. They released the security update at about the same time they released 13.1. So if you had 13.0 installed and then installed the security patch to fix it and then installed 13.1 you brought the security problem back because the 13.1 update didn't get the security patch before it was released. It has been an embarrassing couple of weeks for Apple.

mc hristel

Ah! I get it. The way the article was written (or was it because I just skimmed the article) it sounded like people were running the security update before upgrading to High Sierra.  :undecided:

Farabomb

Yeah, Apple hasn't been doing well on the iPhone or OSX fronts lately.

"It just works" well, maybe...

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Agreed about the OS.

The new Ubuntu is looking pretty slick. Runs like a striped assed ape on my old '09 iMac.

I made a bootable Linux stick and am going to put it on a half dead windows box that my kid wants me to fix.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I haven't played around with linux since redhat had the first boxed distro. I've run Ubuntu on the tablet but never on an actual computer. I probably should since I have enough old hardware kicking around. It's a good idea to at least keep somewhat current since the "newest" OS I have is windows 7.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I too used redhat, back in the day. The newer GUI feels a lot like the Mac, which makes base operation real nice. I loaded the latest Ubuntu 16.x version, instead of the brand new v17, for stability and support.

Joe

I suppose an '09 iMac has enough power to run Ubuntu acceptably. About a year ago I put it on an old Dell that had been running XP and it majorly sucked performance wise. All I can say is on the PC it takes some horsepower to run Ubuntu.