News:

Main Menu

HELP!

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, March 31, 2023, 08:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

have you tried re distilling the quark pdf.

works for a few issues we have from time to time that Apogee has issues with
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

DigiCorn

Once upon a time, I would take the Quark file and export it to a .ps and manually distill it. That might still be a possibility - just distill it with all images and fonts embedded and NO compression whatsoever. IIRC, placing the Quark pdf in InDesign (with pdfs embedded/linked within the Quark pdf) causes unreported font errors; you'll have an ad that looks great in Quark and on screen, but exports from InDesign as Courier.

The way I see it, you've got two options. Take the entire final exported Quark pdf and rasterize the whole thing in Photoshop, or, take the embedded/linked pdfs within the Quark file and rasterize those in Photoshop and relink them inside Quark and then export a new Quark pdf with the new links. If spot colors or 100% K is involved, you may have extra work, as 100% K might become a rich black on rasterization and ink saturation might be over 270%, which in my day was a no-no.

If you're super lucky, you might be able to use Pitstop to correct any Quark pdf font embedding issues, and if you have the original links, you can remap them in Acrobat as well (right-click on the image in Acrobat, open in Illy/Photoshop, then close the Illy/Photoshop file - it will resave the image within the pdf)... but also IIRC, Prinergy likes Pitsop, but is not too font of Acrobat corrections.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 01, 2023, 01:07:10 AMOnce upon a time, I would take the Quark file and export it to a .ps and manually distill it. That might still be a possibility - just distill it with all images and fonts embedded and NO compression whatsoever. IIRC, placing the Quark pdf in InDesign (with pdfs embedded/linked within the Quark pdf) causes unreported font errors; you'll have an ad that looks great in Quark and on screen, but exports from InDesign as Courier.

The way I see it, you've got two options. Take the entire final exported Quark pdf and rasterize the whole thing in Photoshop, or, take the embedded/linked pdfs within the Quark file and rasterize those in Photoshop and relink them inside Quark and then export a new Quark pdf with the new links. If spot colors or 100% K is involved, you may have extra work, as 100% K might become a rich black on rasterization and ink saturation might be over 270%, which in my day was a no-no.

If you're super lucky, you might be able to use Pitstop to correct any Quark pdf font embedding issues, and if you have the original links, you can remap them in Acrobat as well (right-click on the image in Acrobat, open in Illy/Photoshop, then close the Illy/Photoshop file - it will resave the image within the pdf)... but also IIRC, Prinergy likes Pitsop, but is not too font of Acrobat corrections.
Sorta explains kinda the prepress gymnastics i have to do now.

Thanks for the ideas. I like Joes solution the best. RETIRE. But that won't be on the table for at least a few more years.

Rodi

Next time you get the file, I"ll run it through PDFToolbox, it's got some good stuff to fix problem PDFs.
Man, I loved Quark 3.3 :) But now? OW!!!
pspdfppdfxhd check your messages.
Gabba Gabba Hey