Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepress2

Quote from: sgrhill on November 21, 2017, 04:25:28 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 04, 2017, 12:29:56 PMWhat version of Mac OS are you using? I am not seeing this with Acrobat DC on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.
The problem occurs in Yosemite, Sierra and High Sierra.

And El Capitan too.
Was fine until about 1 1/2 weeks ago, then DC started grabbing up ram & VM. No updates to OS, Acro or the only third party plugin, FusionPro. There's also a second thread on Adobe's bug report pages. https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/32123662-acrobat-pro-dc-acrocef-eating-up-21gb-of-memory

Only workable solution I've found, as others on this forum, quit Agrobat when not using it and don't leave it launched for over 1/2 hour (monitoring memory use through Activity Monitor).

Joe

We have 14 Macs running Acrobat DC and haven't seen this issue on any of them. Tonight I am going to go buy a lotto ticket! :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Seriously though....have any of you having this issue checked your Console logs when all of this RAM is being consumed? It might point out what process is consuming all of that RAM better than what you see in Activity Monitor.

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on January 10, 2018, 07:35:10 AMWithout reading back through this thread...has anyone with this problem tried creating a new admin account on their Mac and running Acrobat from the new account?
would you believe I am FINALLY getting around to trying this today... will see how it goes when i leave the mac on over the weekend.
at least if it works that will be great... except i will have to get everything to work right on a new login... which will be a pain!

MPI-Ed

Let me add my name to the list of those suffering from this malady. My workstation has suffered for some time now and I've gone to using Acrobat Pro XI for the vast majority of lifting, especially since we're quite dependent upon Suitcase, Heidelberg's PDF Toolbox and recently added FusionPro into the mix just to muddy waters much, much further. We've three workstations utilizing Suitcase, two that have Heidelberg's Prinect software and Toolboxes and one with the added FusionPro.

In regard to the usage and the issue, it's truly gotten to the point that if I do use DC for any length of time, I also open Activity Monitor just so I can kill things off before I brings my system to a screeching halt. I believe my system is the only one here affected, although I'm potentially seeing some symptoms begin in our Preflight computer. I've tried the enhanced memory protection check but after seeing the lack of results others have had, I'm not optimistic about that maneuver's benefit.

sgrhill

Quote from: sgrhill on November 11, 2017, 04:13:48 AM
Quote from: sgrhill on October 27, 2017, 02:14:59 AMI think I found the solution regarding my Acrobat Pro problem.
Please read the comments I've made on the Adobe forum.
Unfortunately the memory leak problem is 100% back. ;-(
My colleague worked problem free for a week. I've installed CC 2018 on his iMac and after this install Acrobat becomes very memory hungry again. (I don't know if this action is related to the problem.)
Back to square one.
Update!
In the meantime another iMac user of our Prepress department encounters the same memory problem.

But ... I've installed the latest updates form Acrobat and guess what: the problem is gone on both systems. Finally! I've waited for almost a year for this.

Joe

Yeah they dropped a major new version of DC last week. I was wondering if this would solve that issue for those having it?

DPSprint?

sgrhill

Quote from: Joe on October 08, 2018, 06:55:17 AMYeah they dropped a major new version of DC last week. I was wondering if this would solve that issue for those having it?

DPSprint?

Actually, the problem was already solved on both systems with the former update.

DPSprint? What do mean by that?

Joe

DPSprint is the person that started this thread and never saw it resolved.

DPSprint

yeap thats me!

Y'know I finally got this computer completely set up last week with a new user and it has been working well, no crashes!

Yesterday morning I came in and turned on the computer and unknown to me it started in the old user... which is weird in itself as I had set it up so it would start up in the new user.
But anyway i was working away and realised acrobat had had an update (the pdf icons are all different, take a bit of getting used to), I thought oh interesting, see what happens... LOL an hour later and it crashed... thats when I realised I was in the old user and not the new!

So back to the other user and its fine, as it was last week.

I guess I should check again and see if the old user crashes again

Joe

That tells me the issue has been in the user account all along then.

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on October 08, 2018, 12:27:23 PMThat tells me the issue has been in the user account all along then.

Im kinda thinking that...

although why would it have been fixed with the upgrade for sgrhill?

sgrhill

Quote from: DPSprint on October 08, 2018, 07:05:33 PMalthough why would it have been fixed with the upgrade for sgrhill?
That's a very good question! I don't have an answer to that.
Probably there is more than one cause for this problem. In our case the update worked. In your case the new user account worked. Maybe the last solution did work for us as well, I didn't test that. It's a lot of work to create another user account with the same functionality as the old account.
I keep saying I find it coincidental that in our department only the iMacs were affected with the Enfocus Pitstop plugin installed. Maybe the Acrobat update only addresses that cause.

A bit off topic: Why doesn't the Adobe CC Desktop App notifies me when there is an update available for Acrobat Pro DC? To see if there's an update I must click on 'Help' in Acrobat and then select 'Check for updates'. This is weird, because all of the other Adobe apps will notifiy me through the Desktop App.

DPSprint

...and yes its a big thing to change user accounts!  :facepalm:

I dont get notifications for Acrobat either

Joe

Acrobat DC is stealthy and does it in the middle of the night while you are sleeping. :helicopter:

Yes changing user accounts is a PITA but still easier than reformatting the hard drive and starting fresh.