News:

Main Menu

mirroring guides

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 12, 2022, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Learning, trying new things, this is the bliss of prepress at its best. The downside is all the other crap you have to deal with. 

pabney

This script is not something I wrote. I found it years, and years ago on a german scripting site and used google to translate the dialogs.
Pretty easy to use once you place the script in your scripting panel
Select the guides you want to copy and run it
A dialog will ask you what page you want to copy them to
Choose mirrored or normal
If you have additional layers, you can choose which layer the guides are copied to

Hope it helps
Download Copy Guides Script

Joe

Works great! Thanks for sharing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

works like a champ!

Thanks!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Where has this been all my life! Game changer, brilliant.....and it's been available since 2010??

I am so glad I asked the question!

Thanks lots! ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

And the copying to layers function is great too. They should have sold this to Adobe years ago, would have made my life a lot easier. Cheers!

pspdfppdfxhd

Tracy

Joe

So you can manually do this in InDesign too. For example if you have panels of 5" x 8", 5" x 8", and 4" x 8" (just to simplify the numbers) Your document would be 14" x 8". Your guide on page 1 would be at 5" and 10". The back would need the guide to be at 4" and 9". If you select both guide on page 1 and copy and then go to page 2 and paste and while the guides on page 2 are still selected change the X coordinate from 5" to 4" and presto...the guide are mirrored.

Or use the script Pabney posted. ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

I figure I'd be like using the script fer sure. :o

Tracy

I like the script, putting it into my folder I noticed my scripts were being used by 2020&2021 indy folders
I had to go fix that, still seeing another set of scripts from somewhere, even tho I deleted those folders
Maybe it will be all fixed tomorrow!  ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

Tomorrow sometimes fixes things, sometimes not.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 13, 2022, 12:06:41 PMSo you can manually do this in InDesign too. For example if you have panels of 5" x 8", 5" x 8", and 4" x 8" (just to simplify the numbers) Your document would be 14" x 8". Your guide on page 1 would be at 5" and 10". The back would need the guide to be at 4" and 9". If you select both guide on page 1 and copy and then go to page 2 and paste and while the guides on page 2 are still selected change the X coordinate from 5" to 4" and presto...the guide are mirrored.

Is this a joke? I can't wrap my head around how this method would be easily functional. Oh well, 2 more years and I too could possibly be retired. Looking forward to the afternoon naps. >:( ;D

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 13, 2022, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 13, 2022, 12:06:41 PMSo you can manually do this in InDesign too. For example if you have panels of 5" x 8", 5" x 8", and 4" x 8" (just to simplify the numbers) Your document would be 14" x 8". Your guide on page 1 would be at 5" and 10". The back would need the guide to be at 4" and 9". If you select both guide on page 1 and copy and then go to page 2 and paste and while the guides on page 2 are still selected change the X coordinate from 5" to 4" and presto...the guide are mirrored.

Is this a joke? I can't wrap my head around how this method would be easily functional. Oh well, 2 more years and I too could possibly be retired. Looking forward to the afternoon naps. >:( ;D
No joke. It works.

Create the guides on P1. Select all guides. Copy. Paste into Page 2. Change X coordinate. Easy. (But the script is easier)