Variable data software fav's

Started by Aaron, November 08, 2010, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I think the largest variable data "imprint" I've done using Data Merge is a 450+ page PDF, but it was just 20-up consecutive numbers for tickets (small file size). Guess it depends on your output device also - I'm using a 4 yr old Xerox Docucolor w/ RIP.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

Thanks gnubler. Very interesting. I'm worried about using ID though because of the guys that will be doing the mail merge don't know ID.

You merge the 2 files at the "press"? I figured it would be one file.

Any increase in file sizes doing this through ID instead of one of the big buck programs?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 03:31:28 PMYou merge the 2 files at the "press"? I figured it would be one file.

Yeah, the "background" file is sent to a Background Forms queue I have set up, the imprint file is sent to the normal print queue. Then in job options at the Xerox RIP I select my background file to run throughout the job.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

ok. I think our Canon has a similar function. They call it a "master".

Thanks for the help gnubler.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 03:31:28 PMAny increase in file sizes doing this through ID instead of one of the big buck programs?

All depends what's in the file. The big downfall of my setup is I can't send a 1-up background file and impose it multi-up at the RIP, so I have to manually impose in Indy. It's a drag when I do the 20-up tickets because I have to select the corresponding data field 20 times for each unit up if I want to do a cut & stack type of imposition. :sleepy:

I'm sure the more robust systems automate all that.

youston

Quote from: gnubler on November 08, 2010, 04:15:21 PM
Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 03:31:28 PMAny increase in file sizes doing this through ID instead of one of the big buck programs?

All depends what's in the file. The big downfall of my setup is I can't send a 1-up background file and impose it multi-up at the RIP, so I have to manually impose in Indy. It's a drag when I do the 20-up tickets because I have to select the corresponding data field 20 times for each unit up if I want to do a cut & stack type of imposition. :sleepy:

I'm sure the more robust systems automate all that.

XMPie has an imposer, but it sucks. We only use it for the Docutech. The color stuff we just impose at the machine.

gnubler

Any other input on this? Bossman is on a listserv and just got some info on this very subject - some others include NumberingStar and Auto Number Pro (never heard of those, but the word "number" leads me to believe they're just for numbering). We do a lot more than just numbering.

youston

Quote from: gnubler on November 10, 2010, 10:25:47 AMAny other input on this? Bossman is on a listserv and just got some info on this very subject - some others include NumberingStar and Auto Number Pro (never heard of those, but the word "number" leads me to believe they're just for numbering). We do a lot more than just numbering.

Almost all of these types of software come with a free trial version ... I'd recommend picking several and trying them out for awhile.

Also, 'you get what you pay for.' (This applies more to data sorting software than to vdp apps.)