Pantone Book Warning

Started by Tracy, October 24, 2022, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: born2print on January 11, 2023, 03:06:04 PMThose notions of suit-up-and-show-up to run out the clock don't work for me I'm afraid. I reckon I have around 10 years to go.
:'( :'( :'(
Don't rush getting old. It kind of sucks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

#TRUTH

Side note:
I have noticed for years that folks that can't wait for Friday / vacation / Christmas / etc etc etc.... are the same people that time flies past them.
It makes sense, if you're not aware, present and content in the moment and instead always living in the future (that doesn't exist by the way) then you never live I guess. :shrug:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Skryber

Quote from: born2print on January 11, 2023, 03:44:01 PM#TRUTH

Side note:
I have noticed for years that folks that can't wait for Friday / vacation / Christmas / etc etc etc.... are the same people that time flies past them.
It makes sense, if you're not aware, present and content in the moment and instead always living in the future (that doesn't exist by the way) then you never live I guess. :shrug:

Deep.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

scottrsimons

As long as you don't have a hole in the washtub you will be ok.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: swampymarsh on January 03, 2023, 12:35:44 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on January 02, 2023, 06:32:10 PMLong time listener, first time poster (in this thread, anyways). Question: I've been away from the game, but curious - do legacy files import in to CC 2022/2023 with Pantone spot designations? Are you able to create a new personal library, but call out each spot with the same Pantone name (and essentially build the library with each color as you go along)? How does EFI/Fiery XF handle the change?

Photoshop updates released in August, September, and October 2022 rendered spot channels referencing unavailable Pantone Color Book files as black.

In the November 2022 update, Adobe changed how legacy spot channels that were referencing unavailable Pantone Color Book files were opened. The legacy colour preview of the existing spot colour is now honoured, despite the referenced .acb file no longer being installed/available.

Photoshop files that are opened in InDesign or Illustrator which use unavailable spot channels will render Gray/Black if colours from the parent colour books are no longer installed.

Changing the spot colour definition to use colour picker Lab colour values (or RGB or CMYK) breaks the "link" to the parent colour book. One can still use the same name it is just the composite preview colour which I am suggesting is redefined away from a colour book.

You can create your own colour swatches, colour books were never easily accessible and Adobe tried to encourage users to avoid creating them for personal use as they were "reserved" for the various ink companies.

I can't comment on EFI, however, generally, all proofing RIPs use a colour lookup table, where the spot colour name in the incoming file is replaced with the better colour build for the proofing queue's paper, ink etc. There should be no change for inkjet proofing or digital presses unless they don't have a lookup. Previously they would use the alternative colour values defined in the spot colour if there was no lookup table entry, the only issue is that now the alternative colour is black/gray.

Again, defining the spot colour values as Lab values would appear to be the best alternative... But what Lab values to use?

Hmmm, sounds like some major "suckage" coming soon, what about designers? Doesn't it all start there? How can they do the creative without a PANTONE subscription?

:o

pspdfppdfxhd

And this just in.....

Was just informed by one of our top clients that since Adobe won't be supporting type 1 fonts any more..their creative people will be using CC cloud fonts only. I have not had a very good experience using / activating those fonts at times, I can't wait!

David

QuoteQuote Hmmm, sounds like some major "suckage" coming soon, what about designers? Doesn't it all start there? How can they do the creative without a PANTONE subscription?

You're assuming that they "ever" had a subscription to Pantone colors. Most of my files come in as RGB (including Illy), no spots. It's up to you to fix it and add the spot colors they spec'd.

QuoteI have not had a very good experience using / activating those fonts at times, I can't wait!

It's easier than hunting down bizarre fonts on the intertubes, I haven't had a problem activating on my end
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: David on January 12, 2023, 11:22:11 AM
QuoteQuote Hmmm, sounds like some major "suckage" coming soon, what about designers? Doesn't it all start there? How can they do the creative without a PANTONE subscription?

You're assuming that they "ever" had a subscription to Pantone colors. Most of my files come in as RGB (including Illy), no spots. It's up to you to fix it and add the spot colors they spec'd.
Wait a minute - huh?? The fuck kinda time would somebody think I have to do THAT, exactly? Go pound sand, that's insanity.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I had to Update my Indesign, I have been putting it off because of the Pantone colors
I have the Pantone Connect but I do not like it.
Customers are obviously updating now!  :'(

born2print

We were supposed to get Connect...
just living without instead.
Had to update InDD to 2024 as well.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...