UV effect for pdf

Started by Tracy, November 01, 2018, 01:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Customer wants their job that is getting UV'd
to look like that in the pdf-is it possible?

delooch

PrepressCrapFixer

macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

scottrsimons

Sure...wait till it is printed take pictures of it, and make a PDF of it. Simple and easy...for...Prepress.  :sarcasm:  Having a bad week, need to laugh at something, sorry Tracy.

But seriously, not sure how to pull that off, without some Photoshop work maybe. And I'm no Photoshop master, or anywhere close.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

born2print

I hate when artists do that! They make type 4/c desert reflection so it LOOKS like gold foil and we have to catch and fix it.
I understand why they do it early in the process to sell the design, but seems like they could fix it at the end before submitting to us.

Anyway, not really possible unless you create bologna files that hence, are no longer meaningful as proofs.
like ghost-back non UV elements?
ugh.
We send ink pdfs and separate UV pdfs since clients can't / don't / wont use overprint preview or output preview
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

Quote from: Tracy on November 01, 2018, 01:07:30 PMCustomer wants their job that is getting UV'd

Here we call that a Mock-up. Done in Photoshop to look "shiny", and it it has zero chance of printing and looking like that.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

you have to pick-up and hold your monitor at just the right angle to the light...

Tracy

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Job is all done on my part, UV file already sent to Coating Vendor
actually job is all done, looks like they want this for free.
They want to send it to people that aren't getting the actual invite?
that doesn't even make sense now that I think about it.

Should I do something really cray cray so she doesn't ask again :laugh:

born2print

Open pdf in Photoshop, use pen tool / thick / red. Circle UV elements and note "UV HERE", save as pdf, email to client, punch out and go home.

Tracy

:laugh: Ok that should get her to not ask for anything from me  :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 01, 2018, 01:07:30 PMCustomer wants their job that is getting UV'd

Go over and turtle wax their monitor.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

You could just comment the PDF, and mark the area that is UV with a comment. And say UV here. Because all PDF viewers will see that, but it will be "JOB DONE".
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

Not seeing a job in the rack for it, wondering if they think I'm doing it on a verbal
I don't do verbal :laugh:

StudioMonkey

You got the mask for the UV areas so I would do a 40% white shaped vignette at say 75º set to Screen or Lighten, with a small bevel effect to enhance the 3D illusion.  Do it on another layer and send em a PDF.  If they don't like it, fuck em.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Tracy

Holy cow! I know your speaking Photoshop Greek :laugh:
I tried beveling in Indesign - Rich black over black and I got
a slight thermography effect, It looks pretty good.
should be good enough but it won't be, still waiting for the job to come in!!