old pms swatch library

Started by tiger lil, January 14, 2014, 10:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiger lil

thank you all for trying to help, looks like its going to be a long road with pantone.

Joe

Quote from: tiger lil on January 14, 2014, 01:36:58 PMthe job was process old trap for color 5195 was 72-90-75-15  New 5195 44.94-49.5-30.3-22.6 not even the same color, what a mess
if it happened before no one said anything.

Yeah but they are better now, right? :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

mauve is the new burgundy, donchaknow
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Quote from: tiger lil on January 14, 2014, 01:52:46 PMthank you all for trying to help, looks like its going to be a long road with pantone.

That's what we are here for.

Changing things just keeps our jobs "interesting" doesn't it?  :shoots_self:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: tiger lil on January 14, 2014, 01:36:58 PMthe job was process old trap for color 5195 was 72-90-75-15  New 5195 44.94-49.5-30.3-22.6 not even the same color, what a mess
if it happened before no one said anything.
CS6 uses Lab values in the Pantone+ libraries to define spot colours now. You cannot switch from Lab values to CMYK in the CS6 swatch palette and get accurate CMYK definitions. It's like trying to switch any spot colour defined as RGB to CMYK - the values will be skewed. There is a method for replacing the Pantone+ libraries with the "classic" CS5 libraries - it's in a thread here:

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=7313.msg217902#msg217902

That's what I have done in our shop.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Tracy

you guys have a procedure or something to check for cs6 spot color pdfs that convert to cmyk?
just had a problem today with this.

born2print

I have not had that issue here T, if we use the normal (Prinergy) refine, the spot colors stay spot.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Tracy

I think when converting to cmyk in adobe all is good
and converting from cs6 is ok
converting to cmyk in older versions of indy is the problem-I think :laugh:

born2print

That makes sense, once we realized up-versioning was stable (as opposed to CS3-CS4 conversion which ruined files) we just open all INDD files in CS6 or CC and export from there

Joe

Well if you did a job previously, pre CS6, that converted spots to CMYK and now you run the job in CS6 and convert the same spot to CMYK it will come out different. The problem is trying to match spot conversions for anything pre CS6 to jobs that now come in with CS6.

born2print

True, we found this issue too hard to nail down and it is ok a lot of the time, then we scramble when it is not ok  :wink:

edit: It may also help when operators tend to leave the colors alone in InDD then use a process conversion refine in Prinergy? (Or does that yield different CMYK breakdowns as well?)
but that solution is limited as a lot of process jobs also have a die, score, etc... so you cant use the process refine

Joe

For Prinergy, I think you are safe as long as you don't move the Library on the left to the top of the list on the right. (I think)

Slappy

We just went through this discussion again this week as we've updated our Prinect system and the support tech was pretty adamant that going to LAB conversions at the RIP stage is the only way to fly. No more CMYK conversions for Pantones. While I agree with the logic behind it, as he explained it, in reality I know it's going to bite us in the ass on several occasions.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

Good luck matching a previous printing.

Now if the designers would just send the 4c files correctly instead of 4c and 6 spot colors...

Wish in one hand, shit in the other and see what fills up first.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

We got hit by it the very next day! We've reverted back to honoring the CMYK conversions at RIP instead of LAB, it's just not feasible to make that huge of a switch.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.