"How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing"

Started by tuff_gong, January 14, 2014, 11:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on January 18, 2014, 05:40:19 PMto be perfectly honest  :drunk3: i have a tendency to get excessive ear wax producing and am prone to straightening out a paper clip, looping the end up and yanking and scraping the said wax out.  :drunk3: so the wife finds these tools all over the house and yells at me alot for doing this. when i told her about the infection, she slped me upside the head telling me she told me not to poke about in my ears eith the damned clips.  :drunk3:

just sayin...

:puke:

This is the very definition of TMI (Too Much Information)... :wink:

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

Possum

Tell your wife that slapping you upside the head is what causes ear infections.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

pspdfppdfxhd

Well, the "upside the head" slapping certainly didn't help the situation.

Apparently she's premenopausal.  :deadhorse: It's all they say it is and then some.   :drunk3:

gnubler

Quote from: Fontaholic on January 20, 2014, 08:34:25 AMThis is the very definition of TMI (Too Much Information)...

Someone has to fill in while Corn is away. I can't wait to hear every detail about Baby Corn's early weeks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

That's what I was afraid of.

The one in the middle reminds me of the sludge that used collect in the bottom of a phototypesetting processor I had to clean.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Fuckin david! :laugh:

I remember you once posted a diapered baby sitting on a chocolate cake or some shit...it was about 3 yrs ago and I had just started a new job. Bossman saw it up on my screen and all I said is "I'm at lunch."
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I didn't do it...

I swear, and I have pictures to prove it...

maybe

:dev2:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

frailer

I particularly liked this comment from an IT support guy.

QuoteI forgot all about this, probably repressing bad memories - but holy cow, if you somehow needed to reinstall Quark and misplaced a license key...well, it would be easier to pass an amendment to the Constitution than to get help from Quark. They treated us like common criminals.

As an aside, head office layout guy had to dig out an old Quack job from '04. Couldn't open it, as no longer running Q. Converted in Q2ID, which I still have plugged into Indy 5.5. It's the plugin that rarely gets used, but when you need it....
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Had some time to look back on some of the comments. This one maybe hints at more where peoples' thinking might be headed. Would be a big wrench for many, but who knows, if someone put an Indy-threat out there at the right price?
problem is, Abode invented PDF; bit of an issue. You can imagine the monopolistic tripwires they'd set.
But there seems to be a groundswell of sentiment towards a non-bloated layout app. Having said that, things are headed more 'webby' than 'printy' these days.    :undecided:
Anyone experienced receiving PDFs out of other (maybe freeware), non-MS apps? If so, do they work? I live in a prepress cocoon compared to some here, who are exposed to all sorts of STDs. (Stupidity Transmitted Diseases).

QuoteI use Adobe CC, and it's generally solid, but the prices are outdated. Yes, on the one hand, the main tools I earn my living with cost about £500 a year, but on the other, look how little Apple charge for software nowadays, and once you've bought it from Apple, you've bought it....

If I could buy the equivalent software from Apple for less than a year's rental from Adobe, I'd move over. And I'm pretty sure most of the printers I use who are clinging to CS6 would too.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

The layout app is not the problem. It wouldn't be all that hard to use Quark or even something like Scribus (open source page layout). The problem is that even switching page layout apps you still need software for creating art, editing photos, and fixing jacked up PDF's and that equals ADOBE (Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat). So switching page layout apps does nothing but to cause yourself more expense and problems in the long run. Until someone comes up with a viable competitor to the whole Creative Suite or ahem...Creative Cloud...Adobe has us by the short hairs with no intention of letting you wriggle free. Now there are open  source alternatives to Illy, and Photoshop like GIMP and Inkscape and they aren't that bad if you can work in RGB. The killer though is the Acrobat/Pitstop combo. Which is why I'd like to see Enfocus come up with a reasonably priced stand alone PDF editor. It would be tempting to try to get by without the other Adobe apps.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on January 22, 2014, 06:32:13 PMThe layout app is not the problem. It wouldn't be all that hard to use Quark or even something like Scribus (open source page layout). The problem is that even switching page layout apps you still need software for creating art, editing photos, and fixing jacked up PDF's and that equals ADOBE (Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat). So switching page layout apps does nothing but to cause yourself more expense and problems in the long run. Until someone comes up with a viable competitor to the whole Creative Suite or ahem...Creative Cloud...Adobe has us by the short hairs with no intention of letting you wriggle free. Now there are open  source alternatives to Illy, and Photoshop like GIMP and Inkscape and they aren't that bad if you can work in RGB. The killer though is the Acrobat/Pitstop combo. Which is why I'd like to see Enfocus come up with a reasonably priced stand alone PDF editor. It would be tempting to try to get by without the other Adobe apps.

The Elder of the tribe speaks.....