"Name too long"

Started by aprilmarie, October 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aprilmarie

on PPF someone had posted a "freeware" to trick this error.

I unstuff files and copy to our server(PC) and I get this error.
Makes me rename files and then i run into linking issues.

Anyone remember it?

Thanks

APRIL
April Pinkerton

Graphics Manager
IMAGE CONCEPT
8200 Sweet Valley Drive
Valley View OH 44125
216-524-9000

Joe

If you are using a Windows server I don't think there is a work around other than ZIP Extreme and it's not cheap.

http://www.grouplogic.com/products/extreme/overview.cfm

Of course the freware trick is to connect via SMB network protocol but this will toast any fonts and it creates problems for files without extensions. You also have to work on the job via SMB also in order for the Macs to see the links long filenames. That can be dicey too.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Quote from: aprilmarie on October 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PMon PPF someone had posted a "freeware" to trick this error.

Anyone remember it?

Thanks

APRIL
I think PCMAcLan that I have installed on my Rampage box also allows you to do that.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

Quote from: kermit on October 03, 2007, 11:14:13 AMI think PCMAcLan that I have installed on my Rampage box also allows you to do that.

Do they still even make that? I was looking to use it with Vista and they did not support anything after WIN 98 if I remember correctly.

kermit

Quote from: Joe on October 03, 2007, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: kermit on October 03, 2007, 11:14:13 AMI think PCMAcLan that I have installed on my Rampage box also allows you to do that.

Do they still even make that? I was looking to use it with Vista and they did not support anything after WIN 98 if I remember correctly.
I have it on W2K. Not sure if they still make it but I am assuming they do as it comes with every Rampage box for Mac connectivity.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

From their website:

QuoteCA PC MacLan
We're sorry, but CA is no longer offering PC MacLAN for your PC/Mac networking needs. However, CA recommends Network Magic from Pure Networks to assist with the networking of your home or small office systems.

I've never used Network Magic but here is the URL for that:

http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/ads/pcmaclan-main.php?src=pcmaclan

Joe

Okay, I downloaded a trial of Network Magic. It is a piece of garbage and I don't recommend anyone trying it.

whoami

Quote from: aprilmarie on October 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PMon PPF someone had posted a "freeware" to trick this error.

Anyone remember it?

Thanks

APRIL

We tried using ExtremeZ-IP here and it worked fine but it was too pricey for what we needed it for.  We didn't want to pay 2 grand to copy files over to a windows server.  We instead used FTP folders and got our files over that way. 

Couldn't you create a .zip file and copy that over then unzip it on the PC server side instead of unstuffing it on a Mac and copying the unstuffed files over??

aprilmarie

We get zipped files from our  website. Transfer them to a hold folder which is on the PC server.
I can not unzip them from there without and error message. If i drag the same file to my desktop
(Mac) and unzip,  no error .
????the X9 Renamer works well enough that i can move to the server . I still have to update my link but less frustrating.

Thanks

APRIL
April Pinkerton

Graphics Manager
IMAGE CONCEPT
8200 Sweet Valley Drive
Valley View OH 44125
216-524-9000

papa v2.0

Yep
the wisdom of windows

had same problem
had to route everything to a mac, unstuff, rename and send back to sever
what a bind.

born2print

dang, i was hoping for an elegant solution for this, we're new to the PC server (Brisque was a UNIX server) because of going to Prinergy (uses win2003) and we're getting sick of relinking the truncated-named-support too.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Quote from: born2print on October 31, 2007, 01:57:25 PMdang, i was hoping for an elegant solution for this, we're new to the PC server (Brisque was a UNIX server) because of going to Prinergy (uses win2003) and we're getting sick of relinking the truncated-named-support too.

The elegant solution is ZIP Xtreme...not cheap but elegant.

born2print

:-[
Ah, I see link above, I'll check into it, thanks Joe!
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

WharfRat

Well worth the price.
For 10 seats - I thought it was only about $700.

MSD

The elegant solution is ZIP Xtreme...not cheap but elegant.
[/quote]

Kalessin

We found this problem with Prinergy because it runs on the antiquated Windows Server 2000. Connecting to shared volumes using smb rather than Apple's default afp fixed it. Sorry if I'm too late...

... and, hi everyone! Just found this site from the old PPF site, I assumed everyone had gone to PrintPlanet. I didn't go there, too many officious types sucking the life out of the room. Glad to see you all found a comfy home!