spinjet

Started by whoami, September 25, 2007, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

does anyone know how to speed up the printing on an HP with a spinjet attached to it????   right now we are sending RTL files to spinflow using Nexus at 300 dpi.  We want to start sending it at 600 dpi but it takes too long to print.  If we drive the HP direct from Nexus and skip spinflow altogether it prints at 600 at a good speed but once we go through spinflow 600 dpi kills us.  is there any other software that drives the spinjet?  or is there another way of speeding it up???   we are going to install more memory on the HP to speed it up but I don't think its the final sollution to that problem. 

kermit

Quote from: whoami on September 25, 2007, 05:05:17 PMdoes anyone know how to speed up the printing on an HP with a spinjet attached to it????   right now we are sending RTL files to spinflow using Nexus at 300 dpi.  We want to start sending it at 600 dpi but it takes too long to print.  If we drive the HP direct from Nexus and skip spinflow altogether it prints at 600 at a good speed but once we go through spinflow 600 dpi kills us.  is there any other software that drives the spinjet?  or is there another way of speeding it up???   we are going to install more memory on the HP to speed it up but I don't think its the final sollution to that problem. 
I have Spinjet and I am using Spinflow software which is great (better than anything I have ever seen). I used to do RTL out of rampage with my DoubleProof but after I got my Spinjet I looked at Spinflow and I loved it. What kind of a speed do you have? One side or two side? What sheet size? I can print and time it for you. Nobody complains about speed here.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

whoami

Well at 300 dpi our proofs come out really quick including the double sided proofs.  But when we send at 600 it takes 3 times as long.  We contacted a spinflow tech and he said that's a common problem at 600 dpi.  We need to be able to proof read trapped fine type so we have to send at 600 dpi. 

kermit

Quote from: whoami on September 26, 2007, 09:59:01 AMWell at 300 dpi our proofs come out really quick including the double sided proofs.  But when we send at 600 it takes 3 times as long.  We contacted a spinflow tech and he said that's a common problem at 600 dpi.  We need to be able to proof read trapped fine type so we have to send at 600 dpi. 
You cannot see trap even at 600 dpi. This in imposition proofer not high quality color calibrated proofer. I print at productivity settings (on printer) and make tif files at 300dpi in Rampage that go to Spinflow software.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

whoami

I'm not really interested in seeing the traps.  It's just that when we print out trapped fine type the trap spreads and completly chokes the type itself making it unreadable.  So hence the need to print at 600 dpi to sharpen up the trapped fine type. 

kermit

Quote from: whoami on September 27, 2007, 12:15:43 PMI'm not really interested in seeing the traps.  It's just that when we print out trapped fine type the trap spreads and completly chokes the type itself making it unreadable.  So hence the need to print at 600 dpi to sharpen up the trapped fine type. 
I always print at low res and nobody ever complained. Most of the type is black of course and doesn't need trapping. SOmetimes it's KO but even that I have no problem with unless you are talking about type smaller than 4pts. Maybe your settings are wrong somewhere?

whoami

i don't think the settings are wrong because there isn't too many settings in spinflow that we could change to adjust printing speed or quality.  We just had a tech install more memory on the HP so maybe that will help.

kermit

Quote from: whoami on September 28, 2007, 11:22:06 AMi don't think the settings are wrong because there isn't too many settings in spinflow that we could change to adjust printing speed or quality.  We just had a tech install more memory on the HP so maybe that will help.

Ram will not help you with quality. It only allows you to hold more jobs in the printer memory. I was talking about the settings on the printer itself.

whoami

The way the tech explained it to us is that when the printer is recieving the job from the rip or spooler it is recieving 64 mb of information at a time.  If you upgrade it to 256 then it should be able to recieve the information in bigger chunks hence speeding up the printing process.  At least that is what he claims.  I haven't had a chance to test it out though.   I don't think it's the printer settings because when we print straight to the machine using our normal rip without going the spinflow software the print time is more than adequate.  So I think it's spinflow slowing us down.   Is there any other spooler software that will drive the spinjet??

kermit

Quote from: whoami on September 28, 2007, 02:42:18 PMSo I think it's spinflow slowing us down.   Is there any other spooler software that will drive the spinjet??
AFAIK the only options you we have is SpinFlow or direct from the rip if you have that option. Rampage has RTL driver but I prefer SpinFlow for much better control (rotation and skew).

hagar_uk

Quote from: whoami on September 25, 2007, 05:05:17 PMdoes anyone know how to speed up the printing on an HP with a spinjet attached to it????   right now we are sending RTL files to spinflow using Nexus at 300 dpi.  We want to start sending it at 600 dpi but it takes too long to print.  If we drive the HP direct from Nexus and skip spinflow altogether it prints at 600 at a good speed but once we go through spinflow 600 dpi kills us.  is there any other software that drives the spinjet?  or is there another way of speeding it up???   we are going to install more memory on the HP to speed it up but I don't think its the final sollution to that problem. 

What version of spinflow are you using? and which spinjet unit, and what workflow? I only ask as sometimes the RTL code in these duplex managers can screw up print speed, causing the HP to pause sometimes, (seen sometimes in preinergy workflows) usually a drop in dll file can fix this.

In what way is it slow? is that the plotter turn into productivity mode instead of draft? if so, burried away in the config of your software should be a setting to change the speed.

whoami

Well we are using Nexus to create the RTL file and we feed that to the spinflow.  We are using the latest version of Spinflow. I'm not sure what that is but I remember a couple of weeks ago I checked and it was the latest version.  We are using the 1000 spinjet series.  What is happening when we print at 600 dpi is that the printhead prints one line and then hangs for about 3 seconds or more and then prints the next line. The printer is set to production mode.  We have tried draft mode and see no better results in speed.  On the spinflow software we have the quality setting on Normal. 

hagar_uk

Quote from: whoami on October 04, 2007, 07:24:53 PMWell we are using Nexus to create the RTL file and we feed that to the spinflow.  We are using the latest version of Spinflow. I'm not sure what that is but I remember a couple of weeks ago I checked and it was the latest version.  We are using the 1000 spinjet series.  What is happening when we print at 600 dpi is that the printhead prints one line and then hangs for about 3 seconds or more and then prints the next line. The printer is set to production mode.  We have tried draft mode and see no better results in speed.  On the spinflow software we have the quality setting on Normal. 

I have seen this a few times before on the Flipper software (used for the Flipper Unit & Versojet) This has always been a case that the RTL code coming in gets a bit mangled in the processing and the output RTL is therefore screwed and a causes a pause.

When I was installing systems and had this problem we managed to get the software tweaked to fix it.  I am guessing the speed when printing from nexus to HP direct is correct?  If that is also slow it is to be expected that the results would be the same.

I would recommend getting a small RTL file togther (if it is needed), contacting who ever supports your system and try and get a fix. chances are there are already fixes in places.

The reason why sometimes these problems can occur is ever RIP tends to creat the RTL in a different way. sometimes commands in the RTL file contradict earlier commands or are incorrect to the specs of the RTL language, but when printing to an HP work correctly, but when going through some kind of duplex system break (as the software expects correctly formatted RTL code)