Make Compound Path problem

Started by frailer, August 05, 2010, 08:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Late yesterday I got a good steer from Joe on this. But now a different problem. Am creating gloss+matt varnish plates. Have Opt+dragged the gloss pic Frames into the matt layer. Need to then make Compound Path to punch through to reveal cmyk job/pic on bottom Layer. But on this page, I seem only able to get 2 out of 3 showing properly in the Compound Path mode. Have quit Indy, even run Cache clean/restart. Must be something simple. Other than that, can see a conclusion.
Something I'm doing/not doing in selecting for the Comp Path?

Screenshot below.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

I don't know, but that's a sweet horno. For bread baking?

Can't you just make frames and fill them with "varnish" swatches set to overprint on an upper layer? I have very little experience with jobs like that.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

I can do that, but I need to have a dead-fit reverse of the gloss to cover the rest. Maybe I can do it by Object>Paths>Reverse Path... :undecided:
It's fun though. The oven? You could do some good pizza in that, I reckon. It's for a social sevice type place that does good stuff for 'slow' kids, after they get beyond school age.
Oh, I can get each pic frame into a Compound Path with the all-over, and 'see' through to the pic below.  Each of the 3 in turn. And 2...But not all 3.   :banghead:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 05, 2010, 08:49:54 PMLate yesterday I got a good steer from Joe on this. But now a different problem. Am creating gloss+matt varnish plates. Have Opt+dragged the gloss pic Frames into the matt layer. Need to then make Compound Path to punch through to reveal cmyk job/pic on bottom Layer. But on this page, I seem only able to get 2 out of 3 showing properly in the Compound Path mode. Have quit Indy, even run Cache clean/restart. Must be something simple. Other than that, can see a conclusion.
Something I'm doing/not doing in selecting for the Comp Path?

Screenshot below.

Let me get my BIG hammer out...stay tuned.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2010, 09:21:24 PMLet me get my BIG hammer out...stay tuned.

You're banning me? But why?

This is a task for DCS. He'll pull the solution out of his backside in 3 seconds.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

frailer,

Select the spot red and shift+click one of the white boxes. Make compound path. Now select spot red again and shift+click the white box. Make compound path. Now select spot red yet again and shift+click the white box. Make compound path. Then you should get all 3 in the same mask as shown in the attached image.

Joe

Screen cap of the exported PDF.

gnubler

Why do they have to be a compound path?

frailer

Yeah...that works.   :cool:  Thanks.  Gnub, I'll take counsel from any quarter. From Juliana Marguiles, if I have to.  :cheesy:

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on August 05, 2010, 09:39:39 PMWhy do they have to be a compound path?
I think because once you 'compound' the 4 Frames, Indy 'punches holes' in the whole shebangy. Otherwise it's just a collection of Frames...with whatever fills.

The shortcut for Make Compound Path, while I'm here... Cmd.+8. (Not F8, BTW...just 8).

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 05, 2010, 09:39:39 PMWhy do they have to be a compound path?

The problem is that there is 2 varnishes as I understand it. The spot red is a glossy varnish that covers everything but the photos and the spot yellow is the matt varnish that covers the photos. He made boxes that covered the photos and colored as spot yellow and set to overprint. Then he made a box to cover the whole page for the glossy varnish and set it to overprint and then made white boxes (over the photos that gets the matt varnish) where he wanted the glossy varnish knocked out. The problem though is when the white box knocks out the spot red it also knocks out the spot yellow and the images below it. By making a compound path by selecting the spot red and the white box it punches a whole though the spot red while allowing the spot yellow to show though which is overprinting the photos. This way he ends up with a composite PDF, 4 color plus the two spots, and he can turn off the spots to see the 4 color process below and when he is ready to output the spot yellow and red output exactly as they need to be.

frailer

Happy ending here, BTW...thanks.    :grin:

Oh yeah, and what Joe said, above. 

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 06, 2010, 12:05:50 AMHappy ending here, BTW...thanks.    :grin:

Oh yeah, and what Joe said, above.

Anytime. It stimulated my mind for awhile...unlike prepress lately. :wink:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Or the Captain could have selected the 3 boxes for gloss put them on top of the overall dull, and went to /Object/Pathfinder/Subtract.

I find the easiest thing to do, is set the PSDs up with a varnish, then put them on top the dull in the InDesign file. Too many times, I get custom paths on images that require varnish and it's a pain to line them up.

Depends on the file and how much work I think I can avoid by working smarter. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2010, 10:20:52 PM

The problem is that there is 2 varnishes as I understand it. The spot red is a glossy varnish that covers everything but the photos and the spot yellow is the matt varnish that covers the photos. He made boxes that covered the photos and colored as spot yellow and set to overprint. Then he made a box to cover the whole page for the glossy varnish and set it to overprint and then made white boxes (over the photos that gets the matt varnish) where he wanted the glossy varnish knocked out. The problem though is when the white box knocks out the spot red it also knocks out the spot yellow and the images below it. By making a compound path by selecting the spot red and the white box it punches a whole though the spot red while allowing the spot yellow to show though which is overprinting the photos. This way he ends up with a composite PDF, 4 color plus the two spots, and he can turn off the spots to see the 4 color process below and when he is ready to output the spot yellow and red output exactly as they need to be.

Well thank you Mr. Information Booth!

Just kidding. I learned something new. I will read your paragraph again once I'm fully awake.