Indy file refuses to output spot

Started by Farabomb, August 27, 2010, 09:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on August 27, 2010, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 27, 2010, 11:15:56 AMAnother thing, you will need to convert the AI graphic that is on all the inside pages. The yellowish box with the reversed sun. It is process color in the AI file.

Hey, I have about 8 jobs to prep this afternoon plus I need to hand draw a map of a bike route in Illustrator. Would you mind taking over?

I'll just Sendspace it all right before lunch so I can clock out for about 3 hours.

I'm HELPING... not doing. You need all the practice you can get, to get all that desinger smell off your breathe.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 27, 2010, 11:07:40 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 27, 2010, 09:32:17 AMYou probably checked the "Ink Manager?" Some idiot customers set ink manager to "convert all spots to process."

Bingo. F-Bomb, go to the fly-out menu in the Swatches Palette.... it's the menu accessible at the upper right of the palette. Go to Ink Manager, it will open a window, see your spots? See the "All Spots to Process" box clicked on? THAT'S the problem.
Thanks for the props. I'm almost NEVER right.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

From what I remember the last one we got took the former co-worker 2 days and countless calls to the designer to convert it. I was working on getting the approved PDF converted into something usable. I didn't want to risk anything moving because I sure as hell can't proofread Chinese. Thanks for taking a look, these repeat so I won't have to go through hell next time. Didn't help that the boss wanted a rush PDF for the customer because it was a rush... that sat here for 2 weeks.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

It's a pretty typical hack job. It's sad we have to know more than the desingers do, huh? It's like being a doctor for nurse wages. :laugh:

Anytime F-Bomb, anytime.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

That Ink Mgr thingy window in Indy is a hidden arse-biter, on the wrong day. You gotta make sure BOTH dropdowns are set how you want. 

...just an aside...I'm AWOL for a week now.    :walker:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

This file was definitely a cluster F. Job should have been set up as a 4c cover and 2c text, it also shouldn't have been 50 pages either. I fix the PDF and plate it and notice the designer put a 4c black stroke around things. What pisses me off the most is we have done these at least 3 times before. The salesman refuses to tell the customer the issues so they can fix it before they send the next one. Probably cause he rarely charges for AA's and prepress time.  :banghead:

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Farabomb on August 27, 2010, 02:34:30 PMThis file was definitely a cluster F. Job should have been set up as a 4c cover and 2c text, it also shouldn't have been 50 pages either. I fix the PDF and plate it and notice the designer put a 4c black stroke around things. What pisses me off the most is we have done these at least 3 times before. The salesman refuses to tell the customer the issues so they can fix it before they send the next one. Probably cause he rarely charges for AA's and prepress time.  :banghead:

THAT right there is the underlining problem. The fact they get out of paying, further exacerbates the situation making the customer think they have done a great job. It's lose lose for us.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 27, 2010, 02:21:08 PMThat Ink Mgr thingy window in Indy is a hidden arse-biter, on the wrong day. You gotta make sure BOTH dropdowns are set how you want. 

...just an aside...I'm AWOL for a week now.    :walker:

Enjoy the week. We will need pics when you get back.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 27, 2010, 02:38:48 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on August 27, 2010, 02:34:30 PMThis file was definitely a cluster F. Job should have been set up as a 4c cover and 2c text, it also shouldn't have been 50 pages either. I fix the PDF and plate it and notice the designer put a 4c black stroke around things. What pisses me off the most is we have done these at least 3 times before. The salesman refuses to tell the customer the issues so they can fix it before they send the next one. Probably cause he rarely charges for AA's and prepress time.  :banghead:

THAT right there is the underlining problem. The fact they get out of paying, further exacerbates the situation making the customer think they have done a great job. It's lose lose for us.

Job security?
Murphy must have been in printing....

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: determined on August 30, 2010, 08:22:10 AM

Job security?

I will never EVER believe that. No matter the economy, Prepress has always saved someone's ass. Every single job that comes in requires some fixing or another... even the supposed "experts." If I thought for a second the only thing keeping my job intact was stupid customers I might have a different outlook. The fact is, printing and stupid customers go hand in hand. It's not rocket science, but it's not unwrapping Twinkies either.
Member #285 - Civilian

determined

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 30, 2010, 09:04:39 AM
Quote from: determined on August 30, 2010, 08:22:10 AM

Job security?

I will never EVER believe that. No matter the economy, Prepress has always saved someone's ass. Every single job that comes in requires some fixing or another... even the supposed "experts." If I thought for a second the only thing keeping my job intact was stupid customers I might have a different outlook. The fact is, printing and stupid customers go hand in hand. It's not rocket science, but it's not unwrapping Twinkies either.

My point exactly...

Quite frankly, the more stuff I have to fix, the happier I am (is there something wrong with me?)
Murphy must have been in printing....

DigiCorn

Just got, and lost a job because of customer fuckups. Customer, as usual, had a tight deadline. We got the job because we won the quote by $3. Job was quoted on customer's PO as 2-color, no bleeds, 8p 8.5 x 11 booklet. File came in 16p, full bleeds off all 4 sides, entirely in RGB. We quoted it on 22.5 x 17.5 paper, but after requote on 25 x 19, another company got the job. Fine... let them fix all that shit. I was seriously thinking about calling this douche who requested the quote and asking them what the fuck was wrong with them. I mean, seriously, is this the first job you've ever quoted?

Got another job this a.m. from a customer who we told them prepped their job perfectly last time, and they had. Comes in this time pdf only - no native files - with no bleeds, clipped so you can't pull them out properly in pitstop without distortion or recropping, and the postal portion upside down, incorrect for mailing. Both our mail houses went out of business last week, and we have to scramble to find a new one. Also, the file is highly compressed and converted to RGB during distillation to pdf. WTF? Why didn't they take a cue from last time and send the job the same way.

Funny thing is, it's a reprint because a few people on their board of directors were omitted or wanted to change photos. Spending extra $$$ to reprint a foundation newsletter because of their egos. Nice use of community funds.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Most quotes are "requirements", much like automobile damage estimates from a body shop for insurance.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

I kicked back some files and explained to the salesman was the issues were. Got new ones today and the only issue that was fixed was the font that wasn't embedded. I don't know if it was the designer or lazy sales but something got lost in the translation. What sucks is I have to choose what is acceptable depending on the customer and yes, I get chewed out when I make the wrong choice.

Prepress is not the only place where you have to fix others mistakes. Happens all the time at the car shop. It's either someone trying to do it in their driveway and it's way above their heads or just a shit shop's work you have to fix. Might not be job security but it keeps the work coming in.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job