Photoshop CS3 Cursor Problem

Started by jason, February 12, 2009, 08:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason

Bear with me, this is hard to explain.

In photoshop I am getting a box around my cursor. If my cursor is over a
dark object the box is white and if my cursor is over a white object the box is dark.

When I choose a tool the cursor appears correctly at first but gradually the box appears.

I have attached a sequence of screen shots to illustrate how the cursor gradually gets a box around it.

I have reinstalled Photoshop 4 times, reset pram, reset preferences, opened a file in Photoshop using Rosetta, among other things. Nothing works.

I am using a iMac, 10.4.11, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

beermonster

hi jason - bizarre one for sure
trash prefs - not reset them - get shot of those nasty plists - see if trashing fixes it
here's another thing
in photoshop prefs under "cursors" just try different combinations of precise, colour etc etc - now if something changes marvellous
its a place to start
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DigitalCrapShoveler

If it is a problem that progressively gets worse, might be a system problem rather than PS. Are you noticing anything else weird happening in any other apps or even the system? It just seems too NOT Photoshop... just have a feeling.
Member #285 - Civilian

jason

Quote from: beermonster on February 12, 2009, 08:43:47 AMhi jason - bizarre one for sure
trash prefs - not reset them - get shot of those nasty plists - see if trashing fixes it
here's another thing
in photoshop prefs under "cursors" just try different combinations of precise, colour etc etc - now if something changes marvellous
its a place to start

I have trashed the prefs, multiple times - no luck

I have tried changing the photoshop cursor prefs choosing multiple combinations - no luck

This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

jason

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 12, 2009, 08:49:01 AMIf it is a problem that progressively gets worse, might be a system problem rather than PS. Are you noticing anything else weird happening in any other apps or even the system? It just seems too NOT Photoshop... just have a feeling.

I am having no other problems in any other applications, this just happens in Photoshop.

The only tools that do not give me a cursor problem are the move tool, path selection, notes, hand and zoom. All the other tools have a box around their cursor.

Skryber

I have goofy glitches happen in ALL the CS3 programs. Never this one though. Does it happen in any other versions of Photoshop?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay... what are your Performance Prefs set to, and how long has this been happening?
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Have you installed any 3rd party plug-ins?

Are you running any APEs (application enhancers)?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jason

QuoteDoes it happen in any other versions of Photoshop?

I only have CS3 installed on my Mac right now. I do have G4 with Photoshop CS3 and it doesn't do this.

Quotewhat are your Performance Prefs set to, and how long has this been happening?

Available RAM: 3072 mb
Ideal Range: 1689-2211 mb
Let Photoshop Use: 2150 mb (70%)

Scratch Disks
Active: Yes    Free Space 220.78 gb

I have been working on this problem since mid December. Photoshop still works, it's just VERY annoying.

jason

QuoteHave you installed any 3rd party plug-ins?

Are you running any APEs (application enhancers)?

Nope and Nope.

beermonster

do you perchance have an Nvidea graphics card sir?
known issues with photoshop cursors and Nvidea cards
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jason

Quote from: beermonster on February 12, 2009, 09:15:24 AMdo you perchance have an Nvidea graphics card sir?
known issues with photoshop cursors and Nvidea cards

ATI Radeon HD 2600

DigitalCrapShoveler

Howz about resetting the brushes? Weird is not the word for it.
Member #285 - Civilian

jason

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 12, 2009, 09:27:36 AMHowz about resetting the brushes? Weird is not the word for it.

I tried it, sorry no dice.

This whole thing is something out of the twilight zone.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Do you have your scratch disk set to a Network Drive? Try cutting that. Not, that there's anything wrong with it, you just need to try unconventional shit, till it goes away. Something is up and obviously the obvious ani't gonna cut it.
Member #285 - Civilian