Photoshop Text

Started by Tracy, August 26, 2010, 09:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 27, 2010, 09:44:38 PMI had two questions there. Was that a ditto yes? :laugh:

I will never in a million years recommend using Photoshop to set text so the answer to the first question is HELL NO!!!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Ditto-Ditto with sugar on top.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Well, we all have our own methods, Joe. I prefer doing all my layouts in Photoshop. The color looks richer and glossier. Plus I can add a subtle bevel on all of the text, makes it "pop" a bit.

Hey, how come there's no way to set bleeds in Photoshop? :sarcasm:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 27, 2010, 10:49:42 PMWell, we all have our own methods, Joe. I prefer doing all my layouts in Photoshop. The color looks richer and glossier. Plus I can add a subtle bevel on all of the text, makes it "pop" a bit.

Hey, how come there's no way to set bleeds in Photoshop? :sarcasm:

DEAD TO ME!!! :tongue:

gnubler

The bleed isn't important. Those printer guys will take care of any shortcomings in my files.

Gawd, I forget which thread you posted it in (the car ad with text running along the edge of the page). Soon after, I was gifted with a Pub - whoever created it must be experienced in printing because it was duped 2-up and there was text running right along the bottom of the page, all of which was framed with a hairline stroke. I think that was the day I kind of stared at the wall for about 15 minutes in between jobs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 28, 2010, 12:09:28 AMThe bleed isn't important. Those printer guys will take care of any shortcomings in my files.

Gawd, I forget which thread you posted it in (the car ad with text running along the edge of the page). Soon after, I was gifted with a Pub - whoever created it must be experienced in printing because it was duped 2-up and there was text running right along the bottom of the page, all of which was framed with a hairline stroke. I think that was the day I kind of stared at the wall for about 15 minutes in between jobs.

Yeah, who needs bleed and type away from the trim. If it's trimmed perfect everything will be OK! Ummmm...have you ever seen our bindery work? :laugh:

gnubler

Every Publisher file I get is wrong. Wrong size, wrong colors, blocks of text remaining from Publisher's attractive templates, "oh, can you make that smaller/bigger?", etc. I think I'll start a new thread on Monday.

Joe

Unfortunately I get the same thing from every app ever made. It's not restricted to Publisher.

gnubler

Last week I got a rush job, was emailed a PDF, and prepared for the worst. To my utter amazement, the file was not only designed by a talented artist, but by someone who actually knows how to make a good PDF. I almost shit my pants. All I had to do was push a button and it printed. :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 28, 2010, 12:33:06 AMLast week I got a rush job, was emailed a PDF, and prepared for the worst. To my utter amazement, the file was not only designed by a talented artist, but by someone who actually knows how to make a good PDF. I almost shit my pants. All I had to do was push a button and it printed. :laugh:

I see them occasionally too. They are the exception rather than the rule. :laugh:

WharfRat

The forum is prepress.
It does not really matter what you/us fellows use for design.
It is about processing the files we receive.
There are plenty of "designers" out there using Photoshop.
Especially with the expense of the entire Suite when Photoshop can "do anything".
Also with so many firms looking for "Designers" that know it all - print, prepress,web design
we will keep getting more and more Photoshop files to print.

MSD

WharfRat

Well ...
I guess the forum is really "B4Print"
so ... our designing, maybe, does count.

My mistake,
  MSD

determined

There's another possibility (depending on how desperate you are to get the type out of photoshop)....as long as the type is still on a layer, you can select it, go to layer>type>convert to shape. Then you can export paths to illustrator.

Like I said, depending on how desperate you are....  :undecided:
Murphy must have been in printing....

G_Town

Quote from: WharfRat on August 28, 2010, 09:33:24 AMThe forum is prepress.
It does not really matter what you/us fellows use for design.
It is about processing the files we receive.
There are plenty of "designers" out there using Photoshop.
Especially with the expense of the entire Suite when Photoshop can "do anything".
Also with so many firms looking for "Designers" that know it all - print, prepress,web design
we will keep getting more and more Photoshop files to print.

MSD

Photoshop is not a design program it is an image editor, morons that use it otherwise should be shot or at the very least spanked.

Tracy

Quote from: determined on August 30, 2010, 08:16:03 AMThere's another possibility (depending on how desperate you are to get the type out of photoshop)....as long as the type is still on a layer, you can select it, go to layer>type>convert to shape. Then you can export paths to illustrator.

Like I said, depending on how desperate you are....  :undecided:
they are gonna get what they get, because they used the faux bold - faux italic!
the pdp file doesn't work on any text on the same layer, like wharf said.
cool tip tho :cool: