Estimation software

Started by Farabomb, November 07, 2011, 11:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

When we started this place my brother had me install some estimation software that was of questionable origin. I had to do all sorts of voodoo to get it to work but somehow I did. I warned him that we really should look into real software. Five years later his laptop is now as stable as a hooker on methadone and he begrudgingly agreed we need something better.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with any estimation software? The parasite that was here loved printsmith but it seems pretty costly and overly complex. We need something simple and user friendly that doesn't cost a mint. I've been looking at Printer's Plan and it has a trial download but I'd like as many options and opinions as possible.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I don't do estimating anymore so am out of the loop. I used Printsmith but that was years ago.

My company uses PrintPoint. I guess it works.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I've got a FileMaker Pro 5 (or it might be 6) database that we use that I created. I'm sure it doesn't meet any developer guidelines on how things should be but it works for us.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

We have printer's plan here  :hello:
It's fine. The developers are slow to come out with a book for their newest software. What's online doesn't cover everything we have found from Real Life©.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

any estimating software is voodoo on the setup. Roll your own for cost of time and testing, or buy something for insane money - either way you'll have to input a ton of variables to get a price that makes sense for your shop.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

The first shop I worked in (circa 1998) used an advanced system of price lists and calculators. :laugh:

I remember the CSRs figuring out estimates by adding up each process, right down to shrink wrapping and camera ready laser prints from the service bureau.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Printer's plan requires a ton of variables from what I understand of it. (and that's not much!)
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

I'm aware that there is some heavy data input in the beginning in order for it to make sense. Databases are totally foreign to me so I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to set one up.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on November 07, 2011, 12:40:32 PMI'm aware that there is some heavy data input in the beginning in order for it to make sense. Databases are totally foreign to me so I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to set one up.

You could do it in Excel too but databases are a bit more flexible.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I can open Excel, that's about my limit of expertise.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on November 08, 2011, 06:42:20 AM
Quote from: gnubler on November 07, 2011, 08:57:03 PMI was told that one of the drums, usually yellow, prints a very faint code ID'ing the machine on every printed piece.
I remembering hearing that years ago. Wonder if it's true?

this is true-it prints a faint dot pattern in process yellow, the pattern supposedly holds the machines serial # and some other identifying marks..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/118664/government_uses_color_laser_printer_technology_to_track_documents.html

NefariousDrO

I've seen that before as well. Apparently it's an anti-forgery thing.

Tracy

we have printers plan
I think printsmith is better tho.

Quote from: Farabomb on November 07, 2011, 01:23:48 PMI can open Excel, that's about my limit of expertise.
You need to get with the program! :whip:  It's the wave of the future!