Switching to new system... looking for knowledge !!

Started by geminianspark, April 23, 2010, 01:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: geminianspark on April 26, 2010, 03:01:48 PMOKay, after 4 hours on friday and right at 8 hours today of asking the same question to the same people in a thousand different ways... i FINALLY just got the answer i've been looking for...

...you're gonna fit right in here!    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

andyfest

I was at an EskoArtworks seminar in Toronto recently and they were suggesting that if you were running a Nexus RIP, that you should add the pdf RIP to it and add Backstage for file management to prepare for future updates. It looks like the future for Nexus - Automation 10 -  will evolve to a pdf input using APPE or something similar. All I know is our corporation will not spend the money right now so for the short-term we are going to continue to use Nexus as is (v9.5.5).
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: hotmetal on April 23, 2010, 04:06:54 PM
Quote from: frailer on April 23, 2010, 03:53:12 PMHaving said that, there's a lot of expertise here, so just fire stuff as it comes up. There'll be people tramping over each other to give you a good answer.   :laugh:
Welcome to the forum, and wish you well in the transition.

Yeah, it was getting a little quiet around here. Quite a few AWS users lurking about, too. I've been using Nexus rips since it was called PCC. Used to love those training trips to the Philadelphia suburbs!

Bristol wasn't it?

geminianspark

OK.... my latest adventure.  We installed the PC with server 2008 to run the nexus rip.  Then we have one mac that runs OSX 10.5 which we loaded nexus manager on and also got dotspy....  pretty cool stuff.  Now i've been asked to take the rest of our macs (all old G4's and bring them up to 10.4.... apparently that's the latest software that will run on their processors.  So far, i've been able to SLOWLY get one updated (mind you these are AT LEAST six yr old machines that have purely been used for file conversion and have not been updated at all in that time frame).   So here's the latest challenge.... the ONE mac i have gotten up to 10.4, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to connect to the PC server.  It will need access to that computer to open files in the dotspy application for proofing.  I have read SOME information on 10.4 having this issue but have been unable to pinpoint a specific answer.  I have IT involved but they are PC based so we are looking for answers.  GOT ANY?

beck

Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Joe

try

smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the x's = the IP address of the server assuming you know it as beck has stated. If you don't you can use the name of the server in place of the IP address. Windows 2008 does not have Appletalk so I think you have to connect via smb. And make sure smb is lower case.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

geminianspark

yea, had the IP address, could ping it, but could not connect to it.  Two hours of research and fiddling later and did a software update from the 10.4.6 to the latest possible 10.4.11   and BAM  connected just like that.  Two systems down, three more to go... oh what fun, it is to sit, at a com-pu-ter desk all day, HEY.

David

oh yeah!
Just updated one Mac to 10.6 and after the initial install, had to download over 900 Mb of "updates".
Took about 2-3 hours to finally get it all installed, and then found out that one of the updates screwed up my Indesign CS4 (wouldn't launch), so I had to do it all again, but this time not do the updates (did them one at a time to make sure everything would open and run).

Happy Happy Joy Joy!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Almost makes you feel you're using a windows box.  :wink:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

almost, but I don't feel quite as dirty...

:wink:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on April 30, 2010, 10:37:04 AMAlmost makes you feel you're using a windows box.  :wink:

Like dude in your avatar?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Nope, he's on OSX. That happens to be a quark 8 file he's working on.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

geminianspark

That avatar pretty much sums up my whole week at this point.    :blowup:

Joe

Quote from: geminianspark on April 30, 2010, 01:51:57 PMThat avatar pretty much sums up my whole week at this point.    :blowup:

Is there any other kind of week in prepress? :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

geminianspark

OK... next question.   All G4s are now updated to Mac OSX 10.4.11  and have access to the PC server running Nexus RIP 9.5    I have been able to install nexus manager and dotspy on each mac, and both applications open correctly after loading in the license files.  The issue at the moment is that when i am in the jobs section of nexus manager, i double click a processed job which opens the workflow/module thing (don't remember the technical name yet)... and then i select the rasterize section and click open file which during training would open up the separations into dotspy.  On these macs, i'm getting an error "could not find editor".    Any suggestions?