What questions do you ask when interviewing a new prepress operator?

Started by abc, February 17, 2022, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on February 20, 2022, 05:01:40 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 20, 2022, 03:02:17 PMSo when I decided to retire they only had one person apply. The only thing they needed to know: Are you breathing?
I kinda find that hard to believe with all the prepress folks not working. If i was to retire, i am sure there would be a flood of applications.
Well we are not in a large city...or even a small city. The job listing was posted in local newspapers and on LinkedIn. The only applicant was through LinkedIn.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on February 20, 2022, 06:20:39 PMCould he speak english?  ;D
Yes. His previous employment was with a company that we had gotten jobs from before and they had gone out of business. The files we had gotten from them were not great. His work, in the two months I trained him, matched the type of files we had received previously. I hope he has improved since I left.

DCurry

Quote from: madbugger on February 20, 2022, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: DCurry on February 17, 2022, 12:54:08 PMAside from that, I used to have a "file from hell" and would ask them to preflight it.

There wouldn't by chance be a copy of that file just laying around somewhere that you wouldn't mind sharing, is there?

Not sure I still have it, but I'll do some digging when I go home. It had things like a missing font, missing bleed, bad flattening (back when that was a concern), impure black, mismatched 4C blacks, RGB (again, back when that was a problem), lo-res, extra separations.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

bornrd

Quote from: DCurry on February 21, 2022, 06:25:10 AMRGB (again, back when that was a problem)

Bit off-topic, but what do you mean by that? I still go taught to convert everything to TIFF/CMYK.

So... technically you don't need to do that anymore??
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

Joe

We never manually convert RGB to CMYK. We let the workflow do it. (Prinergy)

DCurry

We also let Prinergy handle conversions. Any modern RIP can do it, but it does need to be set up right. Alternatively, you can let InDesign do the conversion as it exports the PDF (again, needs proper settings.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

madbugger

Quote from: DCurry on February 21, 2022, 06:25:10 AM
Quote from: madbugger on February 20, 2022, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: DCurry on February 17, 2022, 12:54:08 PMAside from that, I used to have a "file from hell" and would ask them to preflight it.

There wouldn't by chance be a copy of that file just laying around somewhere that you wouldn't mind sharing, is there?

Not sure I still have it, but I'll do some digging when I go home. It had things like a missing font, missing bleed, bad flattening (back when that was a concern), impure black, mismatched 4C blacks, RGB (again, back when that was a problem), lo-res, extra separations.
Cheers, might be an interesting exercise to see what we all can pick up in it. ;D

White type/elements set to overprint are my biggest pet hate
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Most modern software will automatically convert white overprints to knockout.

madbugger

Quote from: Joe on February 21, 2022, 03:16:36 PMMost modern software will automatically convert white overprints to knockout.
What universe you living in. Our shop about 4-5 years behind in upgrades 🤬🤬🤬
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

DCurry

The ability of RIPs to fix the white OP issue on the fly has been around for quite a while - longer than 4-5 years for sure. Also, PitStop can detect and fix it pretty painlessly.

DCurry

I looked for the test files and can't find them. Sorry!

Joe

Quote from: madbugger on February 22, 2022, 12:55:48 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 21, 2022, 03:16:36 PMMost modern software will automatically convert white overprints to knockout.
Retirement Universe these days.

bornrd

Quote from: Joe on February 22, 2022, 08:42:11 AM
Quote from: madbugger on February 22, 2022, 12:55:48 AM
Retirement Universe these days.
Stop flexin on us will ya
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings