News:

Main Menu

rgb images to cmyk

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 13, 2011, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

just wondering if we're going to have any "joy" using our new harlequin rip (version 7) to convert rgb pictures to cmyk pictures. I'm a little scared because our old Apogee system did a terrible job (maybe not setup right) so we did everything at the desktop in Photoshop. Well we can't do that now because of the volume of pictures so we're hoping the rip will do as good of a job as photoshop with the rgb-cmyk coverstion set to U.S. prepress sheetfed coated (or whatever).

Joe

I know it's possible as long as it is setup correctly. We let Prinergy convert everything.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

i think so too but we haven't even got the rip yet, everyone is nervous about the labor involved in converting thousands of rgb's to cmyk properly but I've stuck my neck out saying we could do it at the rip.

Joe

Here are the settings we use...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 13, 2011, 08:49:31 AMi think so too but we haven't even got the rip yet, everyone is nervous about the labor involved in converting thousands of rgb's to cmyk properly but I've stuck my neck out saying we could do it at the rip.

Couldn't you just set up a batch conversion in PS?

pspdfppdfxhd

dont think thats possibe on pdfs with fonts, graphics, etc. but hey, what the hell do I know about everything?

G_Town

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 13, 2011, 09:56:35 AMdont think thats possibe on pdfs with fonts, graphics, etc. but hey, what the hell do I know about everything?

NVM I thought he was talking about images not PDF's.

David

jpeg the pdf, then it won't matter.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on May 13, 2011, 01:06:34 PMjpeg the pdf, then it won't matter.

That's what the gnubs would do.

t-pat

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 13, 2011, 09:56:35 AMdont think thats possibe on pdfs with fonts, graphics, etc. but hey, what the hell do I know about everything?

I wrote a lil photoshop batch years ago for a friend who does gang run 4/4 cards and crap jobs, the batch does [everything] to 300dpi cmyk tiff. That probably still is his default workflow.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

curious why you got the harlequin rip
we are going to upgrade someday and am just curious about all options

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on May 13, 2011, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: david on May 13, 2011, 01:06:34 PMjpeg the pdf, then it won't matter.

That's what the gnubs would do.

I learned that trick on Desktop Publishing Forums.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

If it's the latest/new version of HQ, I imagine it would be able to do that properly. Big hole if it can't.

Just looking over at Xitron's site... which one you getting? Navigator RIP? Are you going APPE? leaving PostScript behind? Hope so, for your sake.  :undecided:
They're talking PostScrip L3 there.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

yeah! which one you gettin?

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Tracy on May 13, 2011, 01:54:03 PMcurious why you got the harlequin rip
we are going to upgrade someday and am just curious about all options

Just because that's the rip that came with the used SCREEN platesetter, no good reason as far as I know