Indesign CS6 weirdness

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, July 11, 2012, 10:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

And the font issues too but the lab profiles are really screwing me up.

Trying onto .idml back to five all the time but there is problems there as well. Help.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: NefariousDrO on July 13, 2012, 03:33:53 PMI've been warned that cs6 displays all spot colors with the LAB profiles, not cmyk, which has caused problems with soft-proofing and a few color-proofers as well. As for fonts, I've been cursing nearly all of the versions of Creative Suite, because each version seems to "see" the font names of loaded/used fonts slightly different from each other. So if I open a file made in the previous version, I have to manually go and tell it to use the same blasted fonts that have remained loaded the entire time because it's too stupid to be consistent.

Yeah what else is new, doging bullets :drunk3: :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

We are still having this problem with CS6 when printing spot color proofs on our system. The only workaround at this point is saving down to CS5 to get a half decent spot color proof.

I guess I'll have to see if I can get some sort of answer from Adobe (maybe the forums?), i tried to navigate the website this morning but just don't have time to figure it out.. maybe tonight.

Its' a real pain in the ass! :banghead:

Greg_Firestone

Hey pspdfppdfx,

Are you printing directly to your proofer from CS6 or creating a PDF and sending that to the RIP.

Greg

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on October 11, 2012, 06:37:01 AMWe are still having this problem with CS6 when printing spot color proofs on our system. The only workaround at this point is saving down to CS5 to get a half decent spot color proof.

I guess I'll have to see if I can get some sort of answer from Adobe (maybe the forums?), i tried to navigate the website this morning but just don't have time to figure it out.. maybe tonight.

Its' a real pain in the ass! :banghead:

What exactly is the problem with spot colors again? We now have CS6 so at least I can see if we have the same problem.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

I got a customer supplied Indy CS6 PDF and all the Pantone colors were converted to LAB color space when the PDF was converted to CMYK on export to PDF. The scary part is the CMYK mix in those Lab colors was not the same as the pantone mix we have been running. Easy fix in Pit Stop to change back to pantone cmyk mix but WTF? Who comes up with these ideas?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Why do they convert to CMYK if you need them to be spot?

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 11, 2012, 11:28:33 AMWhy do they convert to CMYK if you need them to be spot?

Someone at one of our customers is getting married. We were blessed with the task of doing the wedding stationery. She supplied the (supposedly) Spot colour for the invites/RSVP as process, each time she supplied a replacement file... (4 in all, I think). PitStop each time.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

I love doing wedding invitations. It's the whole reason I got into printing to start with.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on July 16, 2012, 06:02:25 PMAnd the font issues too but the lab profiles are really screwing me up.

Trying onto .idml back to five all the time but there is problems there as well. Help.

Quote from: almaink on October 11, 2012, 11:17:34 AMI got a customer supplied Indy CS6 PDF and all the Pantone colors were converted to LAB color space when the PDF was converted to CMYK on export to PDF. The scary part is the CMYK mix in those Lab colors was not the same as the pantone mix we have been running. Easy fix in Pit Stop to change back to pantone cmyk mix but WTF? Who comes up with these ideas?

Why does a certain spot color from Pantone Plus series in CS6 appear different from same spot color in CS5 and older versions?

In CS5 and earlier versions, which included the older versions of the Pantone color books, most spot colors from Pantone had two definitions - Lab and CMYK. In addition, the default setting of the Spot Options dialog was CMYK. CMYK values took priority over Lab values. The spot color added to the document usually came with CMYK values.

In CS6, with the introduction of the Pantone Plus Series color books, there is only one definition for all spot colors. These definitions are in Lab values. So, it is a likely that a particular spot color from Pantone can appear different in CS5 (and earlier) than how it appears in CS6.

Workaround If it's necessary that the same spot colors are identical in CS5 (and earlier) and CS6, you can replace the Pantone Plus Series ® with the older Pantone color books. See Workaround 1 below. It's also necessary to change setting of the Spot Color dialog of the CS6 document to use CMYK values from the manufacturer's process books. These two steps make the Pantone spot color uniform across different versions of Illustrator. However, it could impact cross product workflows with InDesign and Photoshop, if you are using the new Pantone Plus Series ® with these applications.

Recommendations

With introduction of the Pantone Plus Series® in CS6, Illustrator, InDesign, and PhotoShop CS6 all contain the latest color libraries from Pantone. There is seamless exchange of book colors from one application to the other. And as the spot colors have Lab values, the visible results are much closer to the real inks available. Remember that CMYK, as a color mode, has a fairly limited gamut. Representing Pantone spot colors in CMYK numbers results in a wider difference between printed output and digital artwork. By moving to Lab value for spot colors, the difference of appearance between two viewing modes - Normal and Overprint Preview is also reduced considerably.

When workflows demand that Pantone colors with CMYK values, Adobe recommends that you use the Pantone Plus Series® global colors.

Workaround 1: Replace Pantone Plus with older Pantone color books

Adobe Illustrator CS6:

Quit the application.
From the folder Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/ remove all the libraries that have names starting with Pantone+
Download the file Older_Pantone.zip and extract its contents. Extracted folder has two folders named '1' and '2'.
Place all the libraries of the folder named '1' into:
Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books
Place all the libraries of the folder named '2' into:
Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/Legacy
Launch Illustrator, and open all the Document Profiles from:
Mac OS: [user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6/[lang]/New Document Profiles
Windows 7: [drive]\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings\[lang]\[binary]\New Document Profiles
Windows XP: [drive]\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings\[lang]\New Document Profiles
For each Profile, change the Spot Color... option (Swatches panel > pop-up menu) to 'Use CMYK values from the manufacturer's process books'.
Save and close all Document Profiles.
Restart your application.
Adobe InDesign CS6:

Quit the application
From the folder Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/ remove all the libraries that have names starting with Pantone+
Download the file Older_Pantone.zip and extract its contents. Extracted folder would have two folders named '1' and '2'.
Place all the libraries of the folder named '1' into: Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/
Place all the libraries of the folder named '2' into: Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/Legacy/

Older_Pantone.zip

Workaround 2: Making older Pantone libraries available for missing colors.

Use this workaround only when you encounter missing colors in legacy documents. It is not recommended to use older Pantone libraries to add new colors to a document.

Adobe Illustrator CS6:

Quit the application.
Download the file Traditional_Pantone.zip and extract it.
Place the whole folder in Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/
Adobe InDesign CS6:

Quit the application.
Place the whole folder in Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/

Traditional_Pantone.zip

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2012, 12:33:33 AM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on July 16, 2012, 06:02:25 PMAnd the font issues too but the lab profiles are really screwing me up.

Quote from: almaink on October 11, 2012, 11:17:34 AMI got a customer supplied Indy CS6 PDF and all the Pantone colors were converted to LAB color space when the PDF was converted to CMYK on export to PDF. The scary part is the CMYK mix in those Lab colors was not the same as the pantone mix we have been running. Easy fix in Pit Stop to change back to pantone cmyk mix but WTF? Who comes up with these ideas?

Why does a certain spot color from Pantone Plus series in CS6 appear different from same spot color in CS5 and older versions?

In CS5 and earlier versions, which included the older versions of the Pantone color books, most spot colors from Pantone had two definitions - Lab and CMYK. In addition, the default setting of the Spot Options dialog was CMYK. CMYK values took priority over Lab values. The spot color added to the document usually came with CMYK values.

In CS6, with the introduction of the Pantone Plus Series color books, there is only one definition for all spot colors. These definitions are in Lab values. So, it is a likely that a particular spot color from Pantone can appear different in CS5 (and earlier) than how it appears in CS6.

Workaround If it's necessary that the same spot colors are identical in CS5 (and earlier) and CS6, you can replace the Pantone Plus Series ® with the older Pantone color books. See Workaround 1 below. It's also necessary to change setting of the Spot Color dialog of the CS6 document to use CMYK values from the manufacturer's process books. These two steps make the Pantone spot color uniform across different versions of Illustrator. However, it could impact cross product workflows with InDesign and Photoshop, if you are using the new Pantone Plus Series ® with these applications.

Recommendations

With introduction of the Pantone Plus Series® in CS6, Illustrator, InDesign, and PhotoShop CS6 all contain the latest color libraries from Pantone. There is seamless exchange of book colors from one application to the other. And as the spot colors have Lab values, the visible results are much closer to the real inks available. Remember that CMYK, as a color mode, has a fairly limited gamut. Representing Pantone spot colors in CMYK numbers results in a wider difference between printed output and digital artwork. By moving to Lab value for spot colors, the difference of appearance between two viewing modes - Normal and Overprint Preview is also reduced considerably.

When workflows demand that Pantone colors with CMYK values, Adobe recommends that you use the Pantone Plus Series® global colors.

Workaround 1: Replace Pantone Plus with older Pantone color books

Adobe Illustrator CS6:

Quit the application.
From the folder Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/ remove all the libraries that have names starting with Pantone+
Download the file Older_Pantone.zip and extract its contents. Extracted folder has two folders named '1' and '2'.
Place all the libraries of the folder named '1' into:
Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books
Place all the libraries of the folder named '2' into:
Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/Legacy
Launch Illustrator, and open all the Document Profiles from:
Mac OS: [user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6/[lang]/New Document Profiles
Windows 7: [drive]\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings\[lang]\[binary]\New Document Profiles
Windows XP: [drive]\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings\[lang]\New Document Profiles
For each Profile, change the Spot Color... option (Swatches panel > pop-up menu) to 'Use CMYK values from the manufacturer's process books'.
Save and close all Document Profiles.
Adobe InDesign CS6:

Quit the application
From the folder Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/ remove all the libraries that have names starting with Pantone+
Download the file Older_Pantone.zip and extract its contents. Extracted folder would have two folders named '1' and '2'.
Place all the libraries of the folder named '1' into: Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/
Place all the libraries of the folder named '2' into: Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/Legacy/

Older_Pantone.zip

Workaround 2: Making older Pantone libraries available for missing colors.

Use this workaround only when you encounter missing colors in legacy documents. It is not recommended to use older Pantone libraries to add new colors to a document.

Adobe Illustrator CS6:

Quit the application.
Place the whole folder in Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets/[Lang]/Swatches/Color Books/
Adobe InDesign CS6:

Quit the application.
Place the whole folder in Adobe InDesign CS6/Presets/Swatch Libraries/

Traditional_Pantone.zip

Thanks Joe, when I get time I'm gonna read this. I could not "google" this one down myself and i consider myself a "google master". There's always someone better!

And we always send pdf's to proof.

For instance, the spot color was 2665, kind of a purple shade.... with CS6 pdf it was too dark and muddy. With CS5 pdf it was actually pretty accurate to what prints.

almaink

LOL try telling all your designers to follow those instructions and tell them they can't use the new color libraries in CS6, I won't . I tested my RIP and the LAB spots convert to process without issues so unless I'm matching old work, I'm not gonna worry about this.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

pspdfppdfxhd

We could do the fix in pitstop I suppose,  :homer: but how would that be done?  :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

we're ripping the pdf's through our Harlequin, and duming them into Colorburst to manage the color. The version of colorburst we're using is circa 2007. May be ready for an update (if they still exist)