Randomize Images in SmartStream

Started by Slappy, December 04, 2023, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Not sure this is possible using SmartStream, but one of our internal "geniuses" has promised a set of 1000 calendars to be produced where say Company A gets 12 calendars, and for every piece, the month's main pic is randomly assigned from a pool of images supplied. So all 12 calendars may use the same images, just placed differently within each month's spread.

And of course, the back page will need the 12 thumbnails to match that same random order. My head hurts.
I did a few Data Sets, here are the first 2, but when I output the 2nd data set, it doesn't follow the Rules (screenshot) and only uses the first "ImageName" pic - for ALL the image placeholders.

PlaceholderImageName
Image1TestImage1.jpg
Image2TestImage2.jpg
Image3TestImage3.jpg
Image4TestImage4.jpg
Image5TestImage5.jpg
Image6TestImage6.jpg
Image7TestImage7.jpg
Image8TestImage8.jpg
Image9TestImage9.jpg
Image10TestImage10.jpg
Image11TestImage11.jpg
Image12TestImage12.jpg

PlaceholderImageName
Image1TestImage2.jpg
Image2TestImage5.jpg
Image3TestImage7.jpg
Image4TestImage9.jpg
Image5TestImage6.jpg
Image6TestImage11.jpg
Image7TestImage10.jpg
Image8TestImage8.jpg
Image9TestImage12.jpg
Image10TestImage3.jpg
Image11TestImage1.jpg
Image12TestImage4.jpg
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on December 04, 2023, 04:20:02 PMMy head hurts.
When I read your first paragraph my first thought was "My head hurts". Great minds think alike!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I think your data needs to have 12 columns - 1 for each image like the screenshot below. Also I don't think you'd need a rule - just tell each picture box what field to reference for its image.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Ah, ok - I was starting to go down that path then just gave up for the day. The other "special" part of this is that each month has to have 2 potential images. I honestly think I'll make a Set A & Set B and that will have to do. This fucking thing is WAY over-promised - oh and it's a promo job so as usual there's NO money in it. 

:shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

I think DCurry was onto something here but I believe you need to take a step further by having the PlaceHolder field and the ImageName field for each month in there for each month. And if you need two, then you will need two columns for each month.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DCurry

I don't think you need 2 columns for each month. Assuming the Placeholder is the same image but just used in a smaller picture box, you just have SmartStream scale the photo to fit on that box.

If it's a different placeholder image  than the one used full size on the actual months, then yes you might need 2 fields. Even that can be gotten around with a properly-crafted rule. For instance, let's say your placeholder image is a different image completely. If you name the placeholder image consistently, like "TestImage1_placeholder.tif" you could make a rule in SS that concats the data called for in the image field and "_placeholder".

The only reason you'd need 2 columns for each month is if there's no rhyme/reason to the naming conventions. And even if that's the case, you can always rename your images to make the concat rule idea possible.

If I recall correctly it's a little tricky to concat the image name in a rule but it is definitely possible - I've done it many times. If you get that far with it I might have some notes on it somewhere that I can refer to.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!