The Mighty Freehand!

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, November 19, 2008, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, quit all the ragging in all the other threads... THE LINE IS DRAWN HERE! Bring it bitches!
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

chirp * chirp  <====== crickets   :evil:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 19, 2008, 10:13:13 AMOkay, quit all the ragging in all the other threads... THE LINE IS DRAWN HERE! Bring it bitches!

Okay, I'll take the challenge.

I think Freehand is pretty awesome, actually. What little vector work I used to do was always done in Freehand ... I just found it more intuitive than Illustrator (this is going back to Freehand 5.5 - Freehand 8).

For the short period of time I lived in Florida, one of our roommates worked for a printer in Fort Myers who did all of the graphics for the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was all done in Freehand, and watching this guy work was a wonder to behold.

I really miss being able to press Command + = to clone an object ... haven't found anything in Illustrator as convenient, but admittedly I do not have the occasion to use either program much anymore.

So, Freehand +1, and I wish Macromedia had been able to survive.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on November 19, 2008, 10:25:59 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 19, 2008, 10:13:13 AMOkay, quit all the ragging in all the other threads... THE LINE IS DRAWN HERE! Bring it bitches!

I think Freehand is pretty awesome, actually. What little vector work I used to do was always done in Freehand ... I just found it more intuitive than Illustrator (this is going back to Freehand 5.5 - Freehand 8).

For the short period of time I lived in Florida, one of our roommates worked for a printer in Fort Myers who did all of the graphics for the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was all done in Freehand, and watching this guy work was a wonder to behold.

I really miss being able to press Command + = to clone an object ... haven't found anything in Illustrator as convenient, but admittedly I do not have the occasion to use either program much anymore.

I just want to say, that Youston is one of the smartest individuals I have EVER met. Now, he IS the smartest individual I have ever met. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 19, 2008, 10:30:28 AM
Quote from: youston on November 19, 2008, 10:25:59 AM

I just want to say, that Youston is one of the smartest individuals I have EVER met. Now, he IS the smartest individual I have ever met. :wink:

Well, in fairness, it's kind of obvious: You can't say much bad about THE OFFICIAL VECTOR AP OF "YOU SAID IT B4 ... THE B4PRINT COMIC STRIP."

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

I've never used it. Now isn't the time to learn, seeing as it's nearly extinct. It was never used at any of the shops I worked in - of course, I didn't get into prepress until 2001.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Interesting articles Youston. I do know Freehand and have used it. I don't have a current version so I haven't used it in a couple years but I will say it's easier to use from a basic, art standpoint. I do like to work in Freehand, it's fun, but I don't trust it for actual work. From a prepress standpoint, it's not so good. I have had many problems with freehand files, font glyphs, unsupported and low res shading, spot color issues, etc. It's not as bad as Corel but from a technical prepress standpoint, Illy takes the cake.

Let me go one step further and say; DCS, I know you used it for trapping and other prepress operations and it was useful with film and basic Harliquin rips, but it's less than co-operative in modern workflows. Does the latest version even support Postscript level 3? PS3 has been out for almost 10 years and last time I checked, Freehand didn't support it. This may have changed in the latest version, but I haven't seen any files from it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on November 19, 2008, 11:08:17 AMInteresting articles Youston. I do know Freehand and have used it. I don't have a current version so I haven't used it in a couple years but I will say it's easier to use from a basic, art standpoint. I do like to work in Freehand, it's fun, but I don't trust it for actual work. From a prepress standpoint, it's not so good. I have had many problems with freehand files, font glyphs, unsupported and low res shading, spot color issues, etc. It's not as bad as Corel but from a technical prepress standpoint, Illy takes the cake.

Let me go one step further and say; DCS, I know you used it for trapping and other prepress operations and it was useful with film and basic Harliquin rips, but it's less than co-operative in modern workflows. Does the latest version even support Postscript level 3? PS3 has been out for almost 10 years and last time I checked, Freehand didn't support it. This may have changed in the latest version, but I haven't seen any files from it.

Yes MX supports PS3. Because FH has not been updated in many years, you HAVE to treat it like the old days. Postscript. I NEVER have problems in it, ever. The shit that won't print are the overuse of nesting and lenses, the precursor to transparency. FH is picky about what it prints, and there is a reason... it shouldn't. Let me explain. You put PSDs or PDFs or tiffs with layers... FH is gonna spit it back out. The app can't handle modern file formats, it was never meant to. The shit you can't get to print, or have problems with, is because of the builder of the file... not Freehand. Remember FH is a DRAWING program, not a page layout program. Treat it as such, and your problems will ebb.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 19, 2008, 11:15:25 AM
Quote from: Earendil on November 19, 2008, 11:08:17 AMInteresting articles Youston. I do know Freehand and have used it. I don't have a current version so I haven't used it in a couple years but I will say it's easier to use from a basic, art standpoint. I do like to work in Freehand, it's fun, but I don't trust it for actual work. From a prepress standpoint, it's not so good. I have had many problems with freehand files, font glyphs, unsupported and low res shading, spot color issues, etc. It's not as bad as Corel but from a technical prepress standpoint, Illy takes the cake.

Yes MX supports PS3. Because FH has not been updated in many years, you HAVE to treat it like the old days. Postscript. I NEVER have problems in it, ever. The shit that won't print are the overuse of nesting and lenses, the precursor to transparency. FH is picky about what it prints, and there is a reason... it shouldn't. Let me explain. You put PSDs or PDFs or tiffs with layers... FH is gonna spit it back out. The app can't handle modern file formats, it was never meant to. The shit you can't get to print, or have problems with, is because of the builder of the file... not Freehand. Remember FH is a DRAWING program, not a page layout program. Treat it as such, and your problems will ebb.

Good, PS3 support should help with the shading errors.

Postscript... baaahhh... dead!  :death:

I use layered PSDs in Indy all the time, no problem. Exported PDF with live transparency, all supported by the workflow, very few problems. Usually the only problems, people placing PDFs or art from other programs.