Migrating software

Started by jimking, December 12, 2011, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Here's the scoop--I bought a new Mac Pro to replace our old mirrored door G4. The G4 was originally loaded with Adobe Suite CS and overtime updated to CS2 through downloads. Quark 7 is also loaded on the G4. Now I need to move these over to the Intel mac. I've done this before but not from a old mac to a much newer one and not having to jump several software versions in one shot. I'm not even sure I can even load those old version on this new mac. Are they compatible? Where is the easy button doing this cause I dread this. Thanks all......

David

What OS are you running on the Mac Pro? Some of the older software will only run on a power PC Mac (on Leopard and Snow Leopard, but not on Lion).
You can check on the old Mac by doing the "about this Mac"/More Info/Applications. Anything that says PPC or Classic will not run in Lion

If you want to take the software off the old Mac and put it on the new Mac, you will need to deactivate it on the old one first before you install it on the new one.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

You can always try the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from old to new, though the PPC or Classic issue that David mentioned still applies. I've had mixed results with Migration Assistant - a few occasions it has worked flawlessly and others I had to install everything fresh, but it is worth a shot.

When you fire up the new Mac for the first time it should ask you if you want to transfer from an old machine. It involves connecting the Macs via FireWire and starting up the old one in Target Disk mode (it will tell you what to do.) If you've already skipped over that step, you can find Migration Assistant in Applications>Utilities (assuming they are still there in Lion).

P.S. - Whatever you do, remember to copy your Preferences so at least you won't have to tinker with all that crap again.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

jimking

The G4 OS was tiger the Mac Pro is Snow Leopard I believe-- 10.6.4, although I requested Lion. The G4 crashed, funky hard drive issue. One of reasons for the new Mac. The geeks saved all except all apps need to have all their serial numbers entered in order to reactivate them. So, is it necessary to reactivate, should I just call Adobe anyway instead of through the internet because I want CS5? Will Quark load fine and what font utility is everyone using? I do have suitcase fusion, Font explorer I like and was loaded on the G4.

David

If the apps weren't formally "deactivated", Adobe probably still thinks they are running.
If you have an Adobe ID, you can check your software activations online.

You may want to load one on the new Mac and see if it will let you activate it. If it won't, then you'll probably need to call Adobe and have them straighten it out.

oh, I'm using Lino's Font Explorer on my Intel Mac with 10.6.8. No problems here.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

You can upgrade to CS5.5 and do a clean install. I would go that route. The price of an upgrade though gets more expensive the farther back you go to your original version...meaning upgrading from CS2 to CS 5.5 will cost more than upgrading from CS3 or CS4.

You can install Quark on Snow Leopard. I always prefer a clean install instead of trying to copy it over. Deactivate on the old Mac. Install on the new. Re-activate and install updates.

I still use the free version of Linotype Font Explorer on my Snow Leopard Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

I migrated my G4 to Alum iMac successfully going from Leopard to SLeopard using Target mode. Most programs "worked" with small issues but many CD/DVD would not install as the OS determined them (software) to not be compliant. I would try the Migration Assistant first to see what happens. Any new software installs I would bet will be forcing you to get to the Intel only versions at the least. It certainly is worth the exercise  to try but you will have to come to current (CS3 at least) to get it to settle down.

I also may suggest you Clone the HD of the G4 and get the bad drive out of it and keep it running. I put my bad drive into an external allowing you to copy any missing pieces back easily. The G4 step to Intel is full of surprises.

jimking

Thanks all for the info. Chilbear. The geeks did exactly what you suggested.