Greek character encoding for heidelberg toolbox vdp editor.

Started by motormount, August 29, 2019, 10:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

Hi all,

I runned into a serious problem.

If my excel-csv file contains english characters everything works fine.

When i try to make a vdp file with greek characters i get ''chinese'' instead.

I don't even know were to start from.

I thought that character encoding is standard unicode for all software lately and problems like this were over, but that's not the case.

Any kind of help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!   

AaronH

Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I work some files that have Japanese characters, unless I save it as a unicode.txt it doesn't work

I didn't know that was there David, let us know if Davids tip works!

DigiCorn

I've seen that before here.

Usually it's because of a special character, like a é or a ñ

and sometimes just a return in the cell fucks things up

good luck with that
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

You may also need to check your file format when saving out to CSV. I've had that sorta issue too before. Once I changed my CSV file to be "CSV UTF-8", and then made sure my software I was using to do the variable was told it was a UTF-8 file, everything worked out OK. It didn't become available in Excel until a newer version, but I don't know the version, just glad I have the newer version that has it.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

motormount

I've tried saving as utf with no luck, i'll give a try to david's setting ( hoping that is not already set this way )

I don't see any preferences of this tool inside acrobat, and i didn't find a general acrobat setting for imported text endoding....

Heidelberg's vdp editor only accepts csv files, but maybe i could save a unicode txt and change it to csv...

motormount

It wasn't the excel export but the ''character set'' option inside vdp editor.... :facepalm:

Thank you all anyway!