News:

Main Menu

Plate Curves

Started by zacgil, November 13, 2014, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Double check your focus, while you're at it.

Case in point: We switched from positive to negative plates a couple years ago. We still had some inventory, so instead of over-writing the queues on the platesetter, we made new ones. Upon testing, we could not get a decent result off the heatset web. We linerized and checked and pulled our hair out... then, on a whim, I was poking through settings and noticed that the tech guy had set up the Heatset plate queue to focus on a .008" plate... our plates are .012". Readjusted the focus and everything worked perfectly.

The moral? Always recheck the base settings before going any further.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Yeah, this is going to be hell for me. We were never linear. We used the native state of the kodak plate, curved that. Threw kodak out and I used a overall 5% bump curve with a little tweaking to get the Fuji as close as I could (now I wish I never pulled off that miracle).

Now I'm here chasing ghosts. As Joe said my linear plate isn't acting linear. A linear plate won't match old jobs. I need a plate that matches my old plate, no matter how I get there. I have 2 techs coming in today and it's up to them to get us there. That was the deal.

I want this plate to work. The pressmen want to keep the old plate. I don't like fucking with what works either but if we did that, we'd still be shooting film.

I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.  :undecided:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

If you want to save yourself some headaches in the future...get a linear plate and then create a calibration curve to make it match your old plates. That way the next time, and there will be a next time whether it is new plates or a new CTP, all you will have to do is make a linear plate and then apply the calibration curve you make now to that. And you'll be done.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.