Enfocus Pitstop 2020 - remove white lines from pdf file

Started by metlife, December 28, 2020, 02:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

:rotf: Sorry. I did get the link now.

The area in question is vector. It is a version 1.6 PDF. It contains no transparency in the file. Not sure if that means there was never any or if it was flattened. The lines though are from clipping paths.. When you first zoom in they are very visible but as the content is drawing they become less visible. If you zoom in far enough they do disappear. If I print the page the lines are not there. You can't delete the line without deleting the content in the clipping path so I don't think they can be deleted.

You may want to send the link to ABC a few posts above as he will surely be able to tell more than I can (he works for Enfocus and is the Supreme Pitstop Guru  :D ).
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Also just wondering if they are viewing the PDF in something other than Acrobat? They are barely visible to me in Acrobat once the page full loads and the more I zoom in the more they disappear. If I open it in Preview on the mac the lines look like 1 pt rules.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

metlife

Quote from: abc on January 05, 2021, 03:09:08 PM
The suspense is killing me.   :lmao:
Quote from: Joe on January 05, 2021, 04:46:05 PM
You may want to send the link to ABC a few posts above as he will surely be able to tell more than I can (he works for Enfocus and is the Supreme Pitstop Guru  :D ).
ABC, is it possible for You to look at this pdf file if I send it to You and tell us more about those lines? Will it be possible to get rid of them in Pitstop somehow?
Joe, I don't know which application they use to preview this file but I think it is simple Acrobat Reader.

DCurry

metlife, don't get your hopes up - those lines are just where 2 objects meet and your screen stops drawing one and starts drawing the next one.

If you need it to disappear for your customer's proof, consider providing them a rasterized proof rather than vector.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

metlife

Quote from: DCurry on January 06, 2021, 08:58:34 AM
metlife, don't get your hopes up - those lines are just where 2 objects meet and your screen stops drawing one and starts drawing the next one.

If you need it to disappear for your customer's proof, consider providing them a rasterized proof rather than vector.
DCurry
I still have hope for that it works. In Pitstop there is function "Remove white lines" but I don't know how to select only those objects to rasterize them and not loose any information about its color and not to rasterize whole content in this pdf but only specific objects.

DCurry

I'm suggesting that you do indeed rasterize the entire page. Rasterizing part of the page or only specific objects is the worst thing you could do, IMHO. If you use the same rasterization engine that your rip uses you'll actually have a more accurate proof since the rip has to rasterize the art when it makes plates.

I kinda doubt the action you're referring to will work because these are not actually white lines, but adjoining shapes and your screen is just drawing the shapes, and where they meet it just appears to look like a line.

Have you actually printed one out to know if this is even a real problem? I know it's a problem for your customer, but sometimes customers need to be educated and if you can show them a real printed sample it might help alleviate their concerns.

metlife

Quote from: DCurry on January 06, 2021, 09:18:06 AM
I'm suggesting that you do indeed rasterize the entire page. Rasterizing part of the page or only specific objects is the worst thing you could do, IMHO. If you use the same rasterization engine that your rip uses you'll actually have a more accurate proof since the rip has to rasterize the art when it makes plates.

I kinda doubt the action you're referring to will work because these are not actually white lines, but adjoining shapes and your screen is just drawing the shapes, and where they meet it just appears to look like a line.

Have you actually printed one out to know if this is even a real problem? I know it's a problem for your customer, but sometimes customers need to be educated and if you can show them a real printed sample it might help alleviate their concerns.
I already used this feature to remove white lines without rasterizing the entire page, and it worked. However, here I am not able to force this function to work, because I did not manage to set it in such a way that these specific objects are selected. On the positive side, they are on a separate layer in the pdf file so maybe this will work out somehow. However, regarding your question about printing. Yes, we printed these files and there was no visible problem, but our client and the people who print it on our machines are uneducable that these lines do not pose any threat. In this way, one of these printers canceled the printing on the night shift and the finished product was delayed in arriving at the customer.

DCurry

Are you saying you used the "remove white lines" action on THIS job and it worked, or on some other job and it worked then? The reason I'm doubting that it would work on this one is that as I understand it there is nothing to be selected (I don't have the PDF so I can only go on what I'm reading here.) I have an older version of PitStop so I can't look at the action to analyze what it does.

Unfortunately, software won't fix dummies! My fear is always that whatever heroic measures you go through to make the PDF acceptable to the client and the people running the machine might have unintended consequences that no one notices until the job is delivered!

Good luck! You've found us, so you'll get the best help one way or another.

Joe

Agree with DCurry on the part that there are no white lines to delete and that rasterization make them less visible while viewing. I don't agree with rasterizing the whole page though. I would try the action to rasterize everything but keep the text as text. Good info from him as well about educating the customer.

DCurry

I hear ya, Joe, but if there are stacking order issues with the text then it could screw up the rasterization. If all the text is above everything that gets rasterized this would be fine, but if some text is below it might get blocked out and disappear. Should be easy enough to write an action that would preserve the text and one could watch closely to make sure no type disappears. Still a tad risky to me, though.

Joe

Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2021, 09:38:36 AM
Agree with DCurry on the part that there are no white lines to delete and that rasterization make them less visible while viewing. I don't agree with rasterizing the whole page though. I would try the action to rasterize everything but keep the text as text. Good info from him as well about educating the customer.

Nevermind what I said there. Rasterizing it makes it much worse than it was before. See attached screen shot.

DCurry