Forum > The Rest...

Affinity Publisher 1.9

(1/1)

Syphon:
Affinity Publisher 1.9 is out!

While there is several new features and improvements, two things pop out: Package and Data Merge.

The Package feature is finally here and I tried it. Thumbs up!
It package fonts and images just like InDesign.
Interesting is that when you open the folder with the package files, it saves a copy of the Affinity Publisher (.afpub) as a package document (.afpackage) which you can open in Affinity Publisher.
And my understanding is just like InDesign, Publisher loads the fonts temporary while working on the document.
So this is a huge step! I believe more people, especially those that want to dump Adobe, will flock to AP.

Then there is Data Merge!
Was kinda surprised that this feature came around sooner, but don't get excited. I already found a problem with it.
When importing a mailing list with empty fields for envelopes, there is no place to tell it to skip the empty field like you can in InDesign.
So you end up with a AP document that has blank address lines. So you have to go through and delete the blank lines.
Kinda disappointed but hope that Serif fix that soon or maybe I am missing something. Maybe there is a work around.

But I do believe more people will start to use Affinity Publisher over time.
-Joe

Slappy:
Cool, I need to update. I'd honestly not done anything with it since the first release.

zox:
This is first time I am trying PUblisher (I've had Designer since beta days) and big news is that allows "passthrough" for placed PDF's.
That was kind of let down since it was "re-frying" your PDFs and screwing embedded fonts, not it can pass PDF intact through.
I downloaded trial and will be testing it for 90 days, thanks to new offer but I am already inclining to pay.

What I see in the future will be challenge of Adobe fonts, but we'll cross that bridge.

Now, if someone can come up with Acrobat replacement, that would be really something that would be something...

Syphon:

--- Quote from: zox on February 07, 2021, 04:09:40 PM ---This is first time I am trying PUblisher (I've had Designer since beta days) and big news is that allows "passthrough" for placed PDF's.
That was kind of let down since it was "re-frying" your PDFs and screwing embedded fonts, not it can pass PDF intact through.
I downloaded trial and will be testing it for 90 days, thanks to new offer but I am already inclining to pay.

What I see in the future will be challenge of Adobe fonts, but we'll cross that bridge.

Now, if someone can come up with Acrobat replacement, that would be really something that would be something...

--- End quote ---

I think they should hook up with Google Fonts just like they did with Unsplash, Pixabay, and Pexels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version