Disable Hover Scroll

Started by Skryber, February 10, 2021, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

For sake of my sanity, how do I turn off hover scroll? I've hated this "feature" for years. I just picked up a ton of freelance work and cannot deal with it. I'm not even sure if it's an Adobe feature or Apple. I'm ready to go get an old school mouse with a scroll wheel instead of using the Magic Mouse (which I love) bc of this stupid feature.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

system prefs/Accessibility / left pane down to mouse & trackpad / Mouse options maybe?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

I looked there and in MagicPrefs....nada. Application Prefs....nada. Unless I'm missing it. When horizontal scroll first came out I was able to disable it with a script. I can't find anything on this other than more annoyed designers.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

are you seeing this when working in Indesign or all your apps?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Do you mean just scrolling by moving your finger up, down, right, left on the magic mouse in all apps? If that is what you mean I'm not sure there is a way of turning it off.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

OK I've never ran into that before I guess.

DigiCorn

I've done this before, but as I haven't touch ID in 6 months, of course I don't remember how. I'm like 99% sure it's disabled in ID preferences.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It appears at the moment there is no way to turn that off. Someone has filed a bug report with Adobe for it.

Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

You can go there and vote for it.

Skryber

Yes that is what I'm talking about. Thanks all for checking on this.

An example of why I hate this feature...I will have text selected, and accidentally "scroll" over the fonts and it may roll through 25 of them. It is not a simple command Z to undo it. It is 25 command Zs. I can't count how many times this has happened to me. Then while you are undoing 25 font changes, you accidentally undo too many and have to undo the undos. F%@K!

I was setting up a magazine last night and noticed some of my text was indented where it shouldn't be. Must have scrolled over the corner options, beveled it and didn't even know it happened until I was looking over the proof.

I get why you may like hover scroll but they to make it a preference.

Joe

I don't have a preference one way or the other. I rarely work in InDesign which is probably why I have never noticed it.

Skryber

I just read that bug bulletin you posted, Joe. I didn't even think about conditional text. I don't use it but I take over jobs that may have.
So I'm seeing complaints of this from 8 YEARS AGO! That is dispiriting.

Joe

Yeah I tried to vote for it but it won't take my vote. Probably a lost cause.

DigiCorn

I knew I had seen it. It's Windows 10 only...

How to disable inactive window scrolling in Windows 10
Open the Settings app (Win+I keyboard shortcut).
Click the "Devices" category.
From the left sidebar, click the "Mouse" page.
Toggle the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option to "off".
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway