approval file

Started by motormount, March 28, 2021, 03:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

Good day!

What kind of file do you send to the customer for approval?

I don't have to send any where i now work, but when i had to, i send a normalized pdf, prinect normalizer produced.

That was the client file, preflighted and ''fixed'' by prinect's normaliser tool.

Fixes, as far as i remember, were basic stuff, overprint black's , rgb's to cmyk, hairlines etc (and some not so basic, but i don't see the need for a book printer to buy a trapping license ).

If the client file ''passed'' the normalizer, it would rip through metadimension, so the normalised file is what he got to approve.

I'm doing some work on a small printer lately, who just bought a ctp, and a metadimension rip, and must sent approval files to his clients.

Till now, the approval files was sent to his clients from his film maker partner.

They are ''normalised'' files from prinergy or apogee, as i quickly checked.

Since i don't have a normaliser now, what would my options be, to send a safe pdf to the client?

The signastation pc arrived with acrobat dc and pitstop 18 installed.

Meta does have a pdf export, but a 5mb book file rips to 150mb at 300ppi - i don't like to think what file a color catalogue would produce-

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sounds like Meta is exporting a rasterized PDF. Does it have the option of exporting a vector PDF which should be much smaller?

Most of our customers approve pages within Insite but occasionally some want a PDF proof which we give them an untrapped normalized PDF (vector) from Prinergy but we don't worry about file sizes as they will be larger than normal through Prinergy. Whatever size they are we just upload through wetransfer.com and customer gets a link to download.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

motormount

Didn't occurred to me such an option would be available -  if it's ripped it's rasterized right ? :-P  -
but now you mention, i'll check it out, it may be there.

Joe

Not sure about meta but Prinergy PDF's are not rasterized. Rasterization occurs when making the one-bit tiff for plates. For us at least.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.