News:

Main Menu

New home Mac

Started by G_Town, March 17, 2021, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

My 2007 imac has finally given up the ghost and I'm looking to replace it. Should I go another imac or possibly a mini and where would you buy?

Thoughts?

Skryber

I bought this in the fall and love it. I don't have experience with the minis.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-27-imac-with-retina-5k-display-latest-model-intel-core-i7-3-8ghz-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-silver/6200723.p?skuId=6200723

I have one exactly like it at work except it has a 1TB Fusion Drive. I don't notice a difference between them

I have a Best Buy credit card and they offer 18 months and sometimes 24 months 0% financing which is better than Apple's 12 months. Plus I get rewards. I even bought my kitchen appliances from there. They price match as well, not that you need it with an Apple product.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

G_Town

Yikes!

Finally debt free, my wife would shit a brick.

Joe

If you want one with the new M1 chip you are limited right now to a Mac Mini or a laptop.

Check carefully whatever you buy because some newer Macs either can't have ram upgraded or you have to disassemble the whole thing to get to it. Same for  hard drives. If you don't want to disassemble to upgrade or can't upgrade a particular model be sure to buy it with enough ram and enough hard drive capacity and the right kind of hard drive to future proof it.

Mac minis cannot have ram or hard drive upgraded is one example. You need to buy it with the most you think you will ever need of both RAM and hard drive.

If you want an iMac wit the Intel chip Skryber's posted specs would be good other than 8 GB of RAM is a little light but the model of 27" iMac she posted is still a simple procedure to add RAM. None of the iMacs are a simple procedure to change the hard drive.

As for where I'm a big fan of the Apple refurbished site: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

Buying refurbished from Apple still gives you the full one year warranty and Apple Care can be bought as well.

I just built myself a PC Hackintosh that will run both Mac OS Big Sur and Windows 10. Creating a Hackintosh is a nightmare but once it is done you are set. But it is also a deadend since you can't create a Hackintosh to run the Mac OS for the M1 chip.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on March 17, 2021, 01:41:32 PM
Yikes!

Finally debt free, my wife would shit a brick.

:lmao:

That is actually a pretty good deal for the latest new model of the 27" iMac.

Skryber

It wasn't so bad for me to pay it off quick. I've been using it to earn extra money with freelance jobs. Plus, I can depreciate it $500 off my taxes for last year and the next 4 years. That is if you're going to use it for "home office" work.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Just today, I installed Big Sur on the work Mac. I like it so far. I'm going to install it at home later tonight.

Possum

My work Mac died so I'm trying to get used to Windows that's a few years old. The company they insist on buying through says they can't get a new box very fast with a graphics card because there's a shortage. So no new computer. Lots of old files lost too. Fun all over the place.  :shoots_self:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on March 17, 2021, 05:37:53 PM
My work Mac died so I'm trying to get used to Windows that's a few years old. The company they insist on buying through says they can't get a new box very fast with a graphics card because there's a shortage. So no new computer. Lots of old files lost too. Fun all over the place.  :shoots_self:

Obviously they aren't buying from Apple. They will overnight you one. No shortage for parts with Apple. :rotf:

The above workplace behavior, never updating hardware or applying security updates, are the companies you read about that hackers have encrypted all of their data and demanding a ransom to get it back. My plant manager is always saying never update your computers every time we are updating something. I just reply by asking him if has read about the latest sensational hacking like with SolarWinds or Microsoft Exchange? Those hacked companies are the ones that never does updates to their SolarWinds or Microsoft Exchange installs.

Skryber

I have a plan for a memory upgrade. Going to Vegas Sunday, we'll see how big I can go. Or not at all  :lmao:

Joe

Yours can go up to 128 GB for a mere $629.99.

MacSales

Skryber

I looked at those exact ones.
Roulette needs to be good to me.

I'll probably get 2-4 16s.

DigiCorn

I would love to do a Hackintosh, but sadly no M1, and now no more Fry's. Looks like from here on out I will be buying pre-built machines and adding on...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 18, 2021, 11:44:35 AM
I would love to do a Hackintosh, but sadly no M1, and now no more Fry's. Looks like from here on out I will be buying pre-built machines and adding on...

You can still get the parts via amazon, newegg.com or ebay.

Possum

We had a couple backup drives for time machine but one walked away at some point. All kinds of craziness with getting everything hooked up and speaking to each other again. Luckily I can plead ignorance of Windows so I can stay out of it. First time in decades I haven't had some new used machine dropped into my lap and just expected to make everything work.

Good luck at the games Skryber. Don't chase any losing streaks.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.