Forum > Macintosh

Big Sur Issues?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Joe:
You don't by chance have the very old free version of Linotype Font Explorer on it do you?

Donomo:
No, never used Linotype Type Explorer. I forgot to mention that the machine also takes a half an hour to boot up after restart. I have not heard anything from the IT department in 2 days.

Joe:

--- Quote from: Donomo on July 08, 2021, 10:17:22 AM ---No, never used Linotype Type Explorer. I forgot to mention that the machine also takes a half an hour to boot up after restart. I have not heard anything from the IT department in 2 days.

--- End quote ---

Sure sign of a hard drive about to die.

Donomo:
Yeah, the tech said the drive is failing. He brought in a brand new iMac yesterday afternoon. 27" with 500GB SSD drive & 32GB of memory running Catalina. Waiting for him to complete the set-up. I'm still trying to convince him to use my Time Machine back-up. He thinks it will cause issues because the back-up is from such an old Mac. IT also gets weirded out by anyone plugging in external devices. I don't think it will be a problem. That's one of the main purposes of Time Machine, to transfer data when upgrading machines. I have several years worth of bookmarks, presets, short cuts, ect on that back-up. Not to mention I will have wait for the Prinergy upgrade before I can run Workshop. So it will probably be several weeks before I have the new machine set-up to my liking. Meanwhile I'll be bouncing back & forth between the new machine and the night shift Mac.

Joe:
I kind of agree with him about the time machine backups because if there is any kind of file/data corruption it will bring it back with it. On the other hand I do it for users that swear they are not having any issues with their old Macs because it saves me a lot of time. For my own personal Mac I do a fresh installs only and then manually copy back what I need from the Time Machine backups like email, bookmarks, downloads, documents etc...takes longer but I have piece of mind knowing I'm not bringing problems back fro the old machine.

It is has made a big difference on my current machine. Prinergy 8.4 under Mojave was giving me an issue where when I tried to open a PDF or VPS proof from Workshop it would take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes to actually open it. A few weeks ago I wiped out everything and installed Big Sur and then selectively copied dat back making sure I didn't bring back anything Kodak from the Time Machine backup and I no longer have that issue now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version