Paper Industry in Transition May 2022 M&A Activity

Started by RMPrepress, June 09, 2022, 08:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

When I was working in the sign shop, we inspected every delivery and rejected inferior materials immediately. Not sure what they're doing now... seems like you have to take what you can get lately, and more waste.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Foozball

Interesting times ... In the past 5 years I've heard "Yes, we'll pay the extra!" maybe once a year.
In the last few months - it's become an every week occurrence!

Just sayin...

Slappy

We (almost) had a regular client balk at a weekly job that runs on the offset press, over a $100 increase. They had about 30 minutes to decide, cause the Press Op was going on vacation for the next 2 days & that was his last job before he hit the door. It ran.

I'm not sure how many jobs we're losing due to increases (of everything across the board) but we seem busy as normal, maybe moreso.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Foozball

If they are balking at $100 now and print is integral to their business ... they're dead, they just don't know it. :o

Joe

We once lost a customer because we charged them an extra $12 for having to replace fonts in their Pagemaker document after at least a dozen warnings about their font issues every time they sent something in. Best thing that ever happened to us.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

We just had our best year ever last year and are off to a fast start this year and just overloaded with work.
We have about a dozen new customers mostly due to their normal vendors not being able to make due dates or more often not able to obtain paper to make any reasonable due date.
We have increased pricing on everything...paper, ink, coating etc...the work keeps coming.
Our owners have excellent credit and are in excellent standing with our paper vendors and that has paid off huge dividends as far as getting paper they have or are about to have.  As it is well known by now if you were one to not pay your paper bills then you are now at the bottom of their list to sell to.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Possum

We had people who balked at a modest price increase after paying the same thing for over two years.

Then there was the major manufacturing company that had us print their instruction sheets that said it was printed on recycled paper. It wasn't. They wouldn't pay for recycled paper.

Then they moved their printing to Mexico. I still get steamed over NAFTA.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Foozball

Rumour is one of our printers just backed out of servicing our orders ... a few MM cartons now need to be re-sourced.

If those smaller (annoying) customers use paperboard they're in for a rough one.
I'm in for a hell of an August!! >:D

Possum

Not your problem. You're not the one who's supposed to get customers.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.